View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

My idea of the perfect phone:
  • Flip-style and small when closed. It needs to slip easily into my pocket and not get broken when I lean on stuff.
  • Flips vertically and horizontally, presenting standard old-fashion number keys vertical or qwerty horizontal. My sister has a phone like this. I have no idea what model it is and can't seem to find out. I guess I could ask her.
  • Has external MP3 controls and a proper 1/8" jack.
  • Has the smaller micro jack for a phone-style headset.
  • Has stereo A2DP bluetooth in case I ever get a car with a bluetooth stereo.
  • Has an easily-accessible MicroSD (Transflash) slot.
  • Has a decent camera with flash. Camera records to MicroSD card by default.
  • Can use mp3 ringtones easily.
  • Has a real GPS chip in it which is accessible by third-party software and doesn't require a paid service.
  • Maybe has some sort of pointing device when in horizontal qwerty mode so it can act like a smartphone.
  • Has a standard mini-USB connection that can be used to access mass storage, hack the phone, or use the phone as a tethered modem (as well as bluetooth tethering).

That's a tall order. My Samsung M500 is flip-style and decently tough, has a decent pair of earphones that fit the phone headset-style stereo micro jack, has the easily accessible MicroSD card, has a decent camera (no flash), and accepts DIY mp3 ringtones pretty easily if I've got internet service on it. It's good enough for me.

It's two or three years old now and still functions adequately. I'm usually a very basic user. Last month I used 80 minutes and 31 text messages and that's all. When I first got it I planned on using it for playing music and such, and did sometimes, but never bothered much. I have a 1/8" adapter so I could run it to my line in but why bother when I've got a plethora of other things to play mp3s?

I'd like the abilities of a smartphone, but a wide flat phone would be crushed within a month of owning it...and a smartphone with a little screen would be somewhat pointless.

Edit: Oh, and the closest to an appropriate option was "have a dumbphone and love it", but more accurate would be "have a dumbphone, it does its job, and I don't really care".