All Offtopic Forums

All Offtopic Forums (http://www.allofftopic.com/index.php)
-   Anything Goes (http://www.allofftopic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Important: The Chat Thread (http://www.allofftopic.com/showthread.php?t=405)

JayBo 05-12-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarkOzy (Post 92104)
I ran into my whore-ex-fiance yesterday morning for the first time in 2 years. aside from being extremely awkward it left no residual mental grime. That girl needs to be shot for what she did to me, but I don't let it affect my life in any way.

She needs to learn to move on, :imo

She's learning. It had only been a little while before we started dating that they finally broke things off. It still affects her sometimes, mainly just gets her down in the dumps.

2005_Silverado 05-12-2010 03:40 PM

AZ be coming down HARD on hispanics :uhoh: now they cant haz MECHA or Mexican-American history classes in school :blah:

SarkOzy 05-12-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .GARY. (Post 92105)
Uno is awesome. Wife and I ate there when we were visiting and got the upside down pizza which was freaking awesome :happy:

:HAPPY:

ya last year i got a stupid cheap fare from Spirit and flew into O'Hare nonstop in less than 2 hours. Had a buddy pick me up and we shot right down I90 to that place. Sooooooooooooo good. Yummy goodness :imo

Flew there, ate, went to Grant Park for a bit and flew home all within 7 hours.

JayBo 05-12-2010 03:40 PM

and you want me to fly to chicago to eat pizza? :rofl2: Oooook.

Cez★ 05-12-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chadster08 (Post 92106)
they were good and chocolate too.

we used to get shipleys donuts in the office. not anymore :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005_Silverado (Post 92108)
AZ be coming down HARD on hispanics :uhoh: now they cant haz MECHA or Mexican-American history classes in school :blah:

MECHA?

2005_Silverado 05-12-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100512/...ethnic_studies

Quote:

PHOENIX – Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has signed a bill targeting a school district's ethnic studies program, hours after a report by United Nations human rights experts condemned the measure.

State schools chief Tom Horne, who has pushed the bill for years, said he believes the Tucson school district's Mexican-American studies program teaches Latino students that they are oppressed by white people.

Public schools should not be encouraging students to resent a particular race, he said.

"It's just like the old South, and it's long past time that we prohibited it," Horne said.

Brewer's signature on the bill Tuesday comes less than a month after she signed the nation's toughest crackdown on illegal immigration — a move that ignited international backlash amid charges the measure would encourage racial profiling of Hispanics. The governor has said profiling will not be tolerated.

The measure signed Tuesday prohibits classes that advocate ethnic solidarity, that are designed primarily for students of a particular race or that promote resentment toward a certain ethnic group.

The Tucson Unified School District program offers specialized courses in African-American, Mexican-American and Native-American studies that focus on history and literature and include information about the influence of a particular ethnic group.

For example, in the Mexican-American Studies program, an American history course explores the role of Hispanics in the Vietnam War, and a literature course emphasizes Latino authors.

Horne, a Republican running for attorney general, said the program promotes "ethnic chauvinism" and racial resentment toward whites while segregating students by race. He's been trying to restrict it ever since he learned that Hispanic civil rights activist Dolores Huerta told students in 2006 that "Republicans hate Latinos."

District officials said the program doesn't promote resentment, and they believe it would comply with the new law.

The measure doesn't prohibit classes that teach about the history of a particular ethnic group, as long as the course is open to all students and doesn't promote ethnic solidarity or resentment.

About 1,500 students at six high schools are enrolled in the Tucson district's program. Elementary and middle school students also are exposed to the ethnic studies curriculum. The district is 56 percent Hispanic, with nearly 31,000 Latino students.

Sean Arce, director of the district's Mexican-American Studies program, said last month that students perform better in school if they see in the curriculum people who look like them.

"It's a highly engaging program that we have, and it's unfortunate that the state Legislature would go so far as to censor these classes," he said.

Six UN human rights experts released a statement earlier Tuesday saying all people have the right to learn about their own cultural and linguistic heritage, they said.

Brewer spokesman Paul Senseman didn't directly address the UN criticism, but said Brewer supports the bill's goal.

"The governor believes ... public school students should be taught to treat and value each other as individuals and not be taught to resent or hate other races or classes of people," Senseman said.

Arce could not immediately be reached after Brewer signed the bill late Tuesday.

SarkOzy 05-12-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

que?

we no haz white history classes in school. or black history classes. or indian history classes. :shrug: (more indians than blacks here btw)

we had SC history :patriot:

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBo (Post 92110)
and you want me to fly to chicago to eat pizza? :rofl2: Oooook.

i've done it. :roflshrug:

Chadster08 05-12-2010 03:42 PM

O I took my fire department test yesterday.

4,400 people were there.

2005_Silverado 05-12-2010 03:42 PM

MEChA

http://www.nationalmecha.org/

Cez★ 05-12-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarkOzy (Post 92113)
que?

we no haz white history classes in school. or black history classes. or indian history classes. :shrug: (more indians than blacks here btw)

i've done it. :roflshrug:

nice
DW tejaz history class in public schools. this state needs a education overhaul imo

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chadster08 (Post 92115)
O I took my fire department test yesterday.

4,400 people were there.

where did you take the test?

2005_Silverado 05-12-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarkOzy (Post 92113)
que?

just cuz u didnt have a class, doesnt mean other states shouldnt either :shrug: Most history involved "whites" thus there is no need for a class focused on ur specific ethniciteez influence in history...where hispanics have had minor roles in history and a class dedicated to teach about those specific individuals, their lives and how they made a difference in the US and hispanic communities would be beneficial :imo:

shit, korkah gets an entire month the entire nation recognizes their history...AZ schools just want to be able to teach those mexi-american classes...I took one cuz its an easy A and what I saw did not promote hate or any shit like that. :rofl:

Cez★ 05-12-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005_Silverado (Post 92119)
just cuz u didnt have a class, doesnt mean other states shouldnt either :shrug: Most history involved "whites" thus there is no need for a class focused on ur specific ethniciteez influence in history...where hispanics have had minor roles in history and a class dedicated to teach about those specific individuals, their lives and how they made a difference in the US and hispanic communities would be beneficial :imo:

shit, korkah gets an entire month the entire nation recognizes their history...AZ schools just want to be able to teach those mexi-american classes...I took one cuz its an easy A and what I saw did not promote hate or any shit like that. :rofl:

they should just include any other peoples IN the main history course imo.

JayBo 05-12-2010 03:51 PM

The school I want to apply to isn't cooperating with my financial aid AT ALL

Cez★ 05-12-2010 03:52 PM

Whys that yay?

btw me chawmpers birthday thread was closed :(

theholycow 05-12-2010 03:52 PM

Damn you people talking about Pizzeria Uno. Now I want Pizza Skins.

2005_Silverado 05-12-2010 03:52 PM

This line fucking cracks me up

Quote:

It's just like the old South, and it's long past time that we prohibited it," Horne said.
AKA..."yeah we fucked up...lets not talk about it and move on." NO, MOTHER FUCKER....this is part of history, this shit went down and made us who we are today. People have the right to know if they ant to...these classes arent "restricted" to hispanics only...anyone can enroll...doesnt mean they will though.

theholycow 05-12-2010 03:53 PM

Maybe they just need to adjust the curriculum to prevent it from pushing an agenda or encouraging incorrect conclusions?

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

I mean, instead of canceling the classes altogether...

Chadster08 05-12-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cez (Post 92117)
nice
DW tejaz history class in public schools. this state needs a education overhaul imo

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

where did you take the test?

Fort Worth.

Cez★ 05-12-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chadster08 (Post 92127)
Fort Worth.

4K people? :whoa: how the fuck does that work?

SarkOzy 05-12-2010 03:55 PM

if you want to learn about your past wey do that at home. that's what parents and og's are for.

i had multiple case studies on this shit in college. the more you segregate kids growing up and teach them to view the world through race first and foremost, the more challenged they'll be later in life. that goes for any ethnic minority out there. the curriculum in question OBVIOUSLY pushes a biased view to those highly impressionable kids. that does them NO good once they reach adulthood and get into the real world.

Chadster08 05-12-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cez (Post 92128)
4K people? :whoa: how the fuck does that work?

The convention center was packed dude. It took almost an hour to sit everyone down lol.

Cez★ 05-12-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarkOzy (Post 92129)
if you want to learn about your past wey do that at home. that's what parents and og's are for.

i had multiple case studies on this shit in college. the more you segregate kids growing up and teach them to view the world through race first and foremost, the more challenged they'll be later in life. that goes for any ethnic minority out there. the curriculum in question OBVIOUSLY pushes a biased view to those highly impressionable kids. that does them NO good once they reach adulthood and get into the real world.

chriz ftw

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chadster08 (Post 92130)
The convention center was packed dude. It took almost an hour to sit everyone down lol.

so ALL those people applied for ONE department or what?

theholycow 05-12-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarkOzy (Post 92129)
the more you segregate kids growing up and teach them to view the world through race first and foremost, the more challenged they'll be later in life.

:word: Children start as a blank slate, without racism/etc. It is all taught. A lot of what is taught bothers me because it takes away that innocence without teaching them to look at things logically and impartially.

I don't, however, know if the curriculum in question is like that...but there's a pretty good chance that it is.

SarkOzy 05-12-2010 03:58 PM

WTF is wrong with people

Beijing, China (CNN) -- The death toll from an attack at a kindergarten in northwestern China rose to nine Wednesday after one of the wounded victims died, state media said.
A man with a kitchen cleaver hacked to death a teacher and seven kindergarten students -- five boys and two girls. He then returned home and committed suicide, state media sa

2005_Silverado 05-12-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 92125)
Maybe they just need to adjust the curriculum to prevent it from pushing an agenda or encouraging incorrect conclusions?

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

I mean, instead of canceling the classes altogether...

yeah, Id take a look at what the teachers are pushing down the student's throats....but again, books used by the teachers have to be approved by the board...not like they go and choose any book they want w/o approval. Horne says those classes teach hispanics that they are being oppressed...IDK what theyre teaching about current events and if we're currently being oppressed, but I do know that there are instances in history where its obvious hispanics, blacks and native americans were oppressed :shrug: