All Offtopic Forums

All Offtopic Forums (http://www.allofftopic.com/index.php)
-   Anything Goes (http://www.allofftopic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Important: The Chat Thread (http://www.allofftopic.com/showthread.php?t=405)

stonehenge 04-26-2010 04:51 PM

bammz ova bagzdad

Cez★ 04-26-2010 04:52 PM

mizz yackson

BillyJeanKing 04-26-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor F (Post 83926)
B.O.B - Outkast

:rockit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly (Post 83928)
eww metallica

:high5:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan! (Post 83929)
bammz ova bagzdad

:ahhh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cez (Post 83932)
mizz yackson

fo realz

stonehenge 04-26-2010 04:55 PM

espeekerbawx/tehluvbelow?

theholycow 04-26-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly (Post 83928)
eww metallica

:word:

BillyJeanKing 04-26-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan! (Post 83935)
espeekerbawx/tehluvbelow?

teh roses

Cez★ 04-26-2010 04:57 PM

tejaz public ejucashen ftl

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6975711.html

Quote:

Eleven Texas school districts will ask an Austin judge today if they can keep cutting a break to students who badly fail courses despite a new law mandating truthful grading.

The districts — most are in the Houston area — are suing state Education Commissioner Robert Scott over his interpretation of the bill, which he says requires schools to give students accurate grades on their report cards. The districts maintain they can keep their policies that set minimum failing grades — typically a 50 — even if students deserved lower.

In their lawsuit, the districts argue that the statute, which took effect this school year, applies only to class assignments, not to semester or six- or nine-week grades on report cards.

The law does not mention report card grades, but the bill's author, Sen. Jane Nelson, R-Flower Mound, has said she intended it to cover all types of grades.

The Fort Bend, Aldine, Klein, Alief, Anahuac and Clear Creek school districts filed the lawsuit in November, with Humble, Deer Park, Eanes, Dickinson and Livingston joining later. At today's hearing, they are seeking a temporary injunction to keep Scott from voiding their minimum grading policies.

Scott, who is being represented by the Texas Attorney General's office, is asking civil state District Judge Gisela Triana-Doyal to dismiss the lawsuit, arguing in part that he doesn't have the power to enforce the grading law and that there's not a specific student's case in dispute.

Minimum-grading policies, according to the school districts, are part of a strategy to prevent dropouts because they give students a mathematical shot at passing a course — if they earn high enough marks in other grading periods. For example, a student who received a 30 grade for the first six weeks but passed the next five grading periods with 75s, still would fail the course, with a 68. But if the school gave the student a 50, instead of a 30, the cumulative grade would be passing.

“We're not giving passing grades. A 50 is way below failing,” Alief school board member Sarah Winkler said in defense of her district's policy. “All we're doing is giving them a grade that if they put forth significant effort they would be able to pass. What would be the point of a student making any effort if they cannot pass?”

Scott, in his response to the lawsuit, characterizes the districts' claims as illogical.

“Under the districts' interpretation, a student could complete no assignments and still get a 50 on his or her report card,” the response says. “This interpretation would render the entire statute meaningless ... and there would be no purpose to requiring actual grades on assignments and examinations.”

The districts are being represented by David Feldman, a private lawyer who was recently appointed Houston city attorney.

shootermcgavin003 04-26-2010 04:57 PM

hey yay

Trevor F 04-26-2010 05:00 PM

Video page
Full screen

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

youz no likez metallica?

Cez★ 04-26-2010 05:03 PM

chi town ftw

Quote:

CHICAGO -- Two lawmakers who believe violence has become so rampant in Chicago that the Illinois National Guard must be called in to help made a public plea to Gov. Pat Quinn on Sunday to deploy troops.

A recent surge in violent crime, including a night last week that saw seven people killed and 18 wounded -- mostly by gunfire -- prompted the request from Chicago Democratic Reps. John Fritchey and LaShawn Ford. They were joined by Willie Williams, whose son was shot and killed in 2006.

Chicago has had 113 homicide victims so far this year, Fritchey said.

"As we speak, National Guard members are working side-by-side with our troops to fight a war halfway around the world," he said during a news conference in downtown Chicago. "The unfortunate reality is that we have another war that is just as deadly that is taking place right in our backyard."

Fritchey said later that the proposal wasn't a "no confidence" vote toward police.

"I think the police have done a commendable job in fighting this surge in violence, but I also think they could use some well-trained help," he said. "The reality is that (police) department resources are stretched thin."

A message left for Quinn wasn't returned Sunday.

Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis said he didn't think the National Guard was the best answer, noting that police focus on civilian law enforcement.

"I appreciate their frustration and their willingness to help," he said after Fritchey and Ford's news conference. "But I am simply not sure the National Guard is the answer to our problems -- at least in terms of mass deployment. I'm frankly not sure what their mission would be."

Weis said most of the violent crime has been focused in areas that represent only 9 percent of the city. Last week, he said the department was improving its gang intelligence, developing new computer programs and creating a mobile strike force of about 100 officers to try to quell the violence, which has been largely confined to the city's south and west sides.

Fritchey said guard members have been trained in civil law enforcement as part of their nation-building assignments in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Deploying the guard also would make economic sense, considering the near-crisis in state finances, he said.

"We don't have the dollars to hire additional officers, but in the National Guard we have men and women on hand who are trained to deal with these situations," he said.

Weis questioned how much training military personnel get in civilian law enforcement.

"I spent six years in the Army, and I never got any course on how or why to obtain a search warrant," Weis said. "That simply isn't part of the military mission, but it's something our officers have to deal with every day."

But he said he could he see a possible limited role for the National Guard in specialized fields, such as intelligence analysis and helicopter support.

In July 2008, after a similar surge in street crime, then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich suggested using the National Guard, but quickly backtracked, suggesting instead that bringing in Illinois State Police could help the Chicago's officers. Mayor Richard M. Daley and other city officials rejected the idea as poorly conceived, particularly in light of the state's fiscal difficulties.
---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

NWS :turbohump:
http://www.foxnews.com/static/manage...ow_604x500.JPG

theholycow 04-26-2010 05:05 PM

:uhohkittah: DNW local war zone.

.GARY. 04-26-2010 05:06 PM

Atliens best Outkast ever :imo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cez (Post 83946)

DO WANT!

Cez★ 04-26-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 83949)
:uhohkittah: DNW local war zone.

srsly. FTS

Quote:

Originally Posted by .GARY. (Post 83950)
Atliens best Outkast ever :imo

DO WANT!

:word:

Trevor F 04-26-2010 05:08 PM

Video page
Full screen

Cez★ 04-26-2010 05:09 PM

nice fail :secret:

JayBo 04-26-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly (Post 83940)
hey yay

Ys?

Trevor F 04-26-2010 05:11 PM

me you your momma and your cousin too rollin down the stip on vogues jumpin out slammin cadillac doors

BillyJeanKing 04-26-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBo (Post 83954)
Ys?

i think he meant hey ya!

hillbilly fail

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor F (Post 83957)
me you your momma and your cousin too rollin down the stip on vogues jumpin out slammin cadillac doors

:security:

stonehenge 04-26-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOURKE (Post 83959)
i think he meant hey ya!

hillbilly fail

chake it como un foto poloroid?

JayBo 04-26-2010 05:15 PM

:( oh well

Cez★ 04-26-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBo (Post 83961)
:( oh well

:rofl: yaybo was like :) then he was all :(

BillyJeanKing 04-26-2010 05:16 PM

Quote: