All Offtopic Forums

All Offtopic Forums (http://www.allofftopic.com/index.php)
-   Anything Goes (http://www.allofftopic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Important: The Chat Thread (http://www.allofftopic.com/showthread.php?t=405)

Cez★ 05-01-2010 12:22 AM

noU

BillyJeanKing 05-01-2010 12:23 AM

:(

Cez★ 05-01-2010 12:25 AM

:cheeky:

BillyJeanKing 05-01-2010 12:27 AM

Navy to allow women to serve on submarines

Quote:

kings bay naval submarine base, ga. – the first u.s. Women allowed to serve aboard submarines will be reporting for duty by 2012, the navy said thursday as the military ordered an end to one of its few remaining gender barriers.

The cramped quarters and scant privacy aboard submarines, combined with long tours of up to 90 days at sea, kept them off-limits to female sailors for 16 years after the navy began allowing women to serve on all its surface ships in 1994.

There were some protests, particularly from wives of sub sailors, after the military began formulating a plan last fall. But it received no objections from congress after defense secretary robert gates notified lawmakers in mid-february that the navy intended to lift the ban. The deadline for congress to intervene passed at midnight wednesday.

Rear adm. Barry bruner, who led the navy's task force on integrating women onto submarines, brushed aside questions from reporters about the potential for sexual misconduct or unexpected pregnancies among a coed crew.

"we're going to look back on this four or five years from now, shrug our shoulders and say, 'what was everybody worrying about?'" said bruner, the top sub commander at kings bay naval submarine base in coastal georgia, where the announcement was made.

The first group of women will consist entirely of officers assigned to guided-missile attack submarines and ballistic-missile submarines, which have the most living space in the navy's fleet. They'll be assigned to two subs based at kings bay on the east coast, and two others at the west coast naval hub of bangor, wash.

Limiting women to officer slots lets the navy, for a time at least, sidestep the more vexing and cost-prohibitive problem of modifying subs to have separate bunks and bathrooms for enlisted men and women. Enlisted sailors make up about 90 percent of a sub's 160-sailor crew. No timeline was given for integrating enlisted women onto subs.

Bruner said 24 women will be able to begin training for submarine officers, which takes at least 15 months, this summer. They'll be divided up so that three women are assigned to each sub's two rotating crews.

That grouping will let all three women aboard a sub share a single stateroom for sleeping. The single bathroom shared by a sub's 15 officers will be equipped with a sign to show if it's occupied by men or women.

Otherwise, most changes will likely be behavioral shifts by male sailors who aren't used to having women aboard, said lt. Cmdr. Daniel lombardo, executive officer of the submarine uss alaska.

"the guys are probably used to walking to the restroom in their boxer shorts and stuff," lombardo said. "but all in all, i think the adjustments for the crew are going to be minor."

one of the most difficult groups to win over on the concept of coed subs has been women themselves — at least those who are married to submarine sailors.

On blogs and online networking sites, wives of submariners have warned that close contact between the sexes at sea could lead to temptation and allegations of sexual harassment.

"there's a lot of navy wives worried about their husbands cheating," said petty officer 1st class glenn gray, a missile technician on the alaska, who said his wife isn't crazy about the idea. "i've told her not to worry, because i'm married to her."

bruner said that when his task force talked with the wives of submariners, the wives' primary concern wasn't that their husbands might cheat. Instead, most were concerned that unqualified women would be allowed onboard the subs to the detriment of the crew and potentially take jobs from their husbands.

Bruner said he found the opposite was true: If women are held to the same performance standards as men, as the navy plans, allowing women aboard subs will ensure that each sub is staffed with the most capable staff possible.

The navy declined several requests by the associated press to interview female sailors and cadets at u.s. Bases about the policy change.

Women are currently allowed to serve on subs in a few countries, including australia, canada, norway, spain and sweden.

About 52,446 women serve on active duty in the u.s. Navy, or about 15 percent of total personnel. Navy officials said women also make up about half the pool of potential recruits with educational degrees that qualify them for training as submarine officers.

"we literally could not run the navy without women today," navy secretary ray mabus said in a statement.

Sailors interviewed aboard the alaska at kings bay on thursday said they're not opposed to the change.

But petty officer 2nd class chris merceri predicted there will be "a little more anxiety" when female officers come aboard for the first time.

"everybody's going to be really up on their p's and q's, very formal and careful of what they do," merceri said. "after that, everyone will be relaxed and comfortable. It'll be another day at work."

RAPE TIME :imo:

Cez★ 05-01-2010 12:31 AM

:naughty:

BillyJeanKing 05-01-2010 12:32 AM

:rofluhoh:

Ewok 05-01-2010 01:06 AM

had spaghetti nomz and some strawberry angel food cake thingy for desert.....stick a fork in me I'm done

Cez★ 05-01-2010 01:13 AM

DW nomz. we no haz nothing here so ima have to buy something

SarkOzy 05-01-2010 01:14 AM

oh hai. iz bored. been a busy day.

Ewok 05-01-2010 01:16 AM

you need to put trans back together then teach me how to do trans overhaul:crossarms:

Cez★ 05-01-2010 01:16 AM

rofl

theholycow 05-01-2010 01:21 AM

I'm watching House. He's stuck in a psych ward.

Ewok 05-01-2010 01:24 AM

boring buckets of monkey ballz....

oh and we are rid of absolutely none of the kids this weekend

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 87019)
I'm watching House. He's stuck in a psych ward.

those are some pretty funny ones

Cez★ 05-01-2010 01:29 AM

:blah:

theholycow 05-01-2010 01:29 AM

I want tequila. I only have a little bit left.

Cez★ 05-01-2010 01:31 AM

i want a drink lol

Ewok 05-01-2010 01:39 AM

me to when I do drink I like whiskey sours or Long Island's

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

:fuckyeah: we are supposed to get some nasty storms later

it's a bodyshop thing

Cez★ 05-01-2010 01:45 AM

we had storms today
today i pumped gas and these vendors were selling some spray that cleaned your truck. this chick did a window, a quarter of my rim and part of my door lol. didnt buy shit though. i scraped my tips leaving teh station :cheeky:

BillyJeanKing 05-01-2010 01:50 AM

making pancakes :wut:

:blah:

Ewok 05-01-2010 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cez (Post 87028)
we had storms today
today i pumped gas and these vendors were selling some spray that cleaned your truck. this chick did a window, a quarter of my rim and part of my door lol. didnt buy shit though. i scraped my tips leaving teh station :cheeky:

I had this chick come by last summer selling some cleaner like that it was like 45.00 a quart or some shit she was pissed when I didn't buy any said like 50 bucks is going to hurt you not like me from the ghetto......

Cez★ 05-01-2010 02:02 AM

lol i was like i dont have cash, we take credit. then i just said im broke :rofl:

BillyJeanKing 05-01-2010 02:44 AM

i are broad

theholycow 05-01-2010 02:46 AM

:naughty: I liek broadz.

Ewok 05-01-2010 02:56 AM

watching couples retreat kinda jesty mostly blah

JayBo 05-01-2010 03:01 AM

well here i am. Back at the house. Still bored, and miserable.
I did eat mexi noms though