Go Back   All Offtopic Forums > Offtopic > Anything Goes
Arcade Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #676
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Why the fuck does CPU performance have to be so complicated? It used to be simple...clock speed and cache. Now if all they changed was to add the issue of core quantity, that'd still be ok...but there's all different product lines with names that don't help at all.

I have a guy I've worked for for years and he needs more speed. He either needs a new motherboard + CPU + RAM + OS or a new system. I know nothing about modern processors and nothing about pricing.

His budget is tight. He can spend $400, or maybe up to $600 if necessary. He doesn't know it yet but I'm going to do the work for free...he's always paid me well and he deserves some help now that his budget is tight.

He does quite a bit of multitasking so I'm thinking quad core is a good idea. He probably needs 4GB of RAM and 64 bit Windows 7 Professional. I'm not loving what I see on Newegg. He found a shady Craigslist ad that sounds good.
http://providence.craigslist.org/sys/2524991090.html
Only issue I see is that it probably doesn't have properly licensed Windows, and probably not Pro.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #677
stonehenge
y u hovering on my shit for?

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

If you reuse existing PSU, case, drives, etc you could get something like:

$185 Quad 2.8ghz i5: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115076
$60 Compatible Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157241
$30 2x2gb Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231394
$140 W7 Pro 64bit OEM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116992

I believe all that has free shipping so the total is around $415.

I picked the stuff above because it appears to all be compatible, all low-cost, all high-rated, and I prefer Intel over AMD. I haven't built a computer in a while though. lol

It isn't the fastest beast though, the i7s are better. But if he wants to stay under budget and wants quad then the i5 isn't bad afaik.
stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #678
apedestrian

apedestrian can perform some srs rep rapes imoapedestrian can perform some srs rep rapes imoapedestrian can perform some srs rep rapes imoapedestrian can perform some srs rep rapes imoapedestrian can perform some srs rep rapes imo
apedestrian can perform some srs rep rapes imoapedestrian can perform some srs rep rapes imoapedestrian can perform some srs rep rapes imoapedestrian can perform some srs rep rapes imoapedestrian can perform some srs rep rapes imoapedestrian can perform some srs rep rapes imoapedestrian can perform some srs rep rapes imoapedestrian can perform some srs rep rapes imoapedestrian can perform some srs rep rapes imoapedestrian can perform some srs rep rapes imo

dat sandybridge
apedestrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #679
MFB
The return of the Brett.

MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:
MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:

Sucks the new proc is coming out next year LOL.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #680
stonehenge

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

dat sandybish
Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #681
jannypan

Tournaments Won: 1

I'm following the previous architecture. Each DB has its own Storage Group as configured by the contractor who built the system. Maybe I'll try creating a DB in an existing SG and see what happens.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #682
stonehenge

Old 08-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #683
stonehenge

So there are several "listservs" on our campus. They are mailing lists managed by the main IT gaiz for the whole university. Apparently they have one that goes out to EVERYONE on campus. It was created as an emergency type thing and for important announcements.

Well yesterday someone figured out how to trick the listserv into thinking he had permission to post to it. Using a fake email address that traced back to some off-shore server, he posted the goatse pic with the name GoatMan.

didn't expect to see goatse when opened work email
Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #684
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #685
stonehenge

the header said his name was GoatMan and the subject was "Question about recent additions to the universities website."

:helied:
Old 08-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #686
stonehenge

Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #687
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Old 08-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #688
MFB
The return of the Brett.

MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:
MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:MFB has the highest rep title :kittahstare:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan! View Post
Old 08-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #689
stonehenge

Old 08-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #690
stonehenge

Just went to do windows updates a Server 2003 server and it opened the web-based updater. Didn't they stop using that a while ago?? Or have I just been on W7 too long to remember that XP and 03 still use the web-based one?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #691
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

That's normal.

I think it also offers the XP-style updater, but there's no effective difference anyway.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #692
stonehenge

Ah okay, I could have sworn at one point there was an update that got rid of the web-based. Disregard ratardness.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #693
MFB
The return of the Brett.

Preordered my ivybridge problem?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #694
stonehenge

skeetbridge
Old 08-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #695
stonehenge

Anyone know of a decent free program for creating users in bulk on a Windows domain? Preferably one that works on 2003 and 2008 since I manage one of each. Or if there is a simple way to script it or something, that will work too. Tired of creating one, copy, copy, copy, copy, etc. Lately they have been dropping long lists of bishes on me that need creating.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:04 AM   #696
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

http://powergui.org
new-qaduser is the command for creating users.

Remind me tomorrow and I'll give you more info.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:23 AM   #697
stonehenge

cao posting something non-portable!?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:04 AM   #698
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

No need for that to be portable...plus it was installed by the contractors who put the whole system together and I've never cared to try to replace it.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:10 AM   #699
stonehenge

Old 08-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #700
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

One of my smartest users had a real

moment.

She works in two offices at two different computers. I needed her to leave one logged on so I could do stuff to it while she wasn't at that desk. Here's the email conversation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cao
If the computer is secured by a locked door, please leave it logged on as you when you move to the other office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by derp
I have no idea what that means so I probably don't have it??
Quote:
Originally Posted by cao
I mean, when you leave the room, do you close the door and lock it or do you leave it wide open? I wouldn't want you to leave the computer logged on if anyone walking by can just sit down and get at your data.
Quote:
I'm back at my other desk .. forgot to leave the computer on and wouldn't want to for that reason .. wide open
...ok, so she gets it now, I'm not talking some technodoor, just the good old fashioned wooden slab that keeps people out of the office.

Right?

Well, 40 minutes after sending that email she calls me and again doesn't know what I meant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cao
Yeah, I was just wondering if you lock the door when you leave that office.
Quote:
How do you do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cao
Well, usually there's a thing on the knob.
Quote:
What does that mean?