Go Back   All Offtopic Forums > Offtopic > Anything Goes
Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #28276
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

My new S4 came on Friday. This thing is great!

I wish I had gotten the 32GB model but 16 is doing great so far. I've got tons of crap on internal memory and there's still GIGABYTES of free space! What a difference from the shitty old phone having something like 800MB total internal space, mostly used up by bloatware (which, of course, I uninstalled after rooting).

Speaking of rooting, it rooted easily. Gotta throw a recovery image on it so I can get good backups, then I can really start hacking around.

A few issues though...

1. Even with headphones plugged in, I can't browse and set ringtones/alarms/etc without the sound coming out of the speaker. That's fine if I'm alone somewhere, but I'm never goddamn alone anymore.

2. Why the fuck did I have to go to the Security settings and clear all certificates to undo my lockscreen security pattern lock (so I could have regular swipe lock back)? And why the fuck did Samsung go non-standard with the screenshot key combination? Gotta do home+power instead of volumedown+power.

3. Some kind of flaky crashing:

The first time I turned it on and tried to get through the intro/new user wizard/whatever, it powered off and rebooted halfway through. I had to start over. Then it was fine for a while.

Saturday morning I played music on it while doing stuff and it was fine. Then about noon, outdoors in the bright sun, I wanted to take some pictures. At first it worked fine, then it started crashing and rebooting. It was so bad that I was completely unable to use it; I'd start to draw my lock screen pattern or launch the camera from the lock screen and it would crash before I could even get in.

Later, thinking about it, I realized it might be crashing when it pulls too much battery current. Immediately before it started acting up I connected to a WiFi signal that was barely there, and couldn't get it to work (but could mostly stay connected). I'm sure that reaching out to that weak signal required all the juice there was, plus in the bright sunlight the screen cranked up to 100% brightness and so on.

I hope it's just the battery. I was already expecting to replace it anyway. New battery arrives in a couple days.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:16 PM   #28277
stonehenge
y u hovering on my shit for?

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

1. How often do you set that shit? I agree that's annoying but after you have your tones set then you probably won't change them often.

2. and the screenshot thing is annoying but you'll get used to it pretty quick. I think as of the S8, it is power and vol down like normal.

3. Could be battery or maybe overheating? Hopefully battery...
stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:45 AM   #28278
nekkidhillbilly

nekkidhillbilly used to read Word Up magazine.  Salt N Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine... :truestory:nekkidhillbilly used to read Word Up magazine.  Salt N Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine... :truestory:nekkidhillbilly used to read Word Up magazine.  Salt N Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine... :truestory:nekkidhillbilly used to read Word Up magazine.  Salt N Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine... :truestory:nekkidhillbilly used to read Word Up magazine.  Salt N Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine... :truestory:

buys old ass phone complains about it being an old ass phone
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:50 PM   #28279
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
buys old ass phone complains about it being an old ass phone
:caocrossarms: Nope, my complaints (items 1 and 2) are design issues that are unrelated to oldassness.

#3 was just discussing what might cause the symptom.

-------

So yesterday I finally installed TWRP recovery. Tried to half-ass it without paying attention to what I was doing and soft-bricked it, then couldn't fix it (turned out the cable I was using was bad), had to leave work without it and go grocery shopping sans-smartphone, carrying iPad around Walmart. Got home and had it fixed in five minutes of work.

Then I realized it has an IR emitter. Installed app, now I have universal remote control in phone, even put a few remote button widgets on a home screen. Awwwyeah!

I keep seeing apps I don't use and having my reflexive feeling of need to delete, but then I remember that I have gigabytes of free space still.

Wish I could install widgets on lock screen the way I did on my LG. Had my Google Keep notes there. Not sure if it's because different manufacturer-installed lockscreen or if because Android 5 vs. 4...thoughts?
Old 03-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #28280
stonehenge

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

I haven't seen lock screen widgets in a long time. RIP

Also, yeah, IR blaster ftw. I use mine regularly. Also comes in handy when you need to turn on a random projector in a random room at work and don't have a remote.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #28281
nekkidhillbilly

nekkidhillbilly used to read Word Up magazine.  Salt N Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine... :truestory:nekkidhillbilly used to read Word Up magazine.  Salt N Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine... :truestory:nekkidhillbilly used to read Word Up magazine.  Salt N Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine... :truestory:nekkidhillbilly used to read Word Up magazine.  Salt N Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine... :truestory:nekkidhillbilly used to read Word Up magazine.  Salt N Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine... :truestory:

I iz kiddin cow........................I use the ir remote a lot too.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #28282
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehenge View Post
I haven't seen lock screen widgets in a long time. RIP

WTF is this shit? Turning into Apple for no raisin!

Fuck. Lock screen widgets FTMFW.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #28283
stonehenge

shit, I never even see my lockscreen

dat fangleprint unlock
Old 03-27-2018, 11:29 PM   #28284
nekkidhillbilly

kinda point of lock screen isn't it to keep ppl out of my phone? camera will work while locked though.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:36 PM   #28285
stonehenge

yeah, but they could have kept widgets as an option, just like how you can hide notifications on the lock screen or show them. They just don't think of Rick. #bovinelivesmatter

camera works on the lockscreen but won't show you existing pics, only ones you take while it's locked this time
Old 03-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #28286
nekkidhillbilly

yeah but somebody could put 15 dicks on it
Old 03-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #28287
stonehenge

so you delete them the point is your info/data isn't compromised
Old 03-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #28288
nekkidhillbilly

yeah unless someone puts titty pics on there and you splainin to do when old lady uses your phone
Old 03-28-2018, 08:31 PM   #28289
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

You guys...

The point of the lockscreen, when not secured with a pattern/pin/fangleprint/etc, is to prevent butt-dialing, pocket-deleting, etc. Phone in pocket will unlock and do all kinds of shit if there is NO lockscreen. A simple swipe is good enough to prevent that without adding much annoyance when wanting to unlock it.

Found a widget lockscreen app that does almost what I want.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...qlocker.widget
Close enough. Added one of my Dark Sky weather widgets, another failed. Added Google Keep and the actual notes don't show like they normally would with the homescreen widget (and like they did with the lockscreen widget on old phone) but that's not a deal-breaker for me; at least I can go straight to Google Keep from the lockscreen, which doesn't have configurable shortcuts. Neither of my flashlight widgets work from it though.

Actually, just realized widget lockscreen doesn't have camera and phone shortcuts. DGAF about phone shortcut but I'll either need to add a widget to launch camera or try a different lockscreen app.

Also, what's this I hear about free tiddy pics?
Old 03-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #28290
nekkidhillbilly

im saying I could see fgts at work stickin shit on my phone
Old 03-28-2018, 10:25 PM   #28291
stonehenge

work with less fgts then

cao - just put all that stuff on your homescreen and unlock the damned thing real quick before hitting your shortcuts/widgets
Old 03-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #28292
nekkidhillbilly

I cant work no where else 4 years I retire
Old 03-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #28293
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

How do fgts at work get your phone?

Sheit, retiring in 4 years...so fkn jelly.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #28294
nekkidhillbilly

go pee or something they get it off the console take pics of shit
Old 03-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #28295
stonehenge

luckily I don't work with dooshbegs

dfw 4 yrs til retire though
Old 03-29-2018, 05:35 PM   #28296
nekkidhillbilly

room full of smart asses........they fun at least
Old 03-29-2018, 05:39 PM   #28297
stonehenge

oh we are all smart asses here, but no pen0r pics will be happening

and we're even all dudes so it would be easy to get away with it lol
Old 03-29-2018, 06:09 PM   #28298
nekkidhillbilly

juan posting pics on phones I see now
Old 03-29-2018, 08:46 PM   #28299
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

My phone is in my pocket. What good does it do on the console...you get up to pee and that's exactly when people call.

And your cow-orkers are dicks.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #28300
stonehenge

my phone is usually on my desk but as soon as I move, I grab it and take it with me

if I'm takin a dump, gotta have something to read/play