Go Back   All Offtopic Forums > Offtopic > Anything Goes
Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #1401
shootermcgavin003
Pro Golfer

Spiffyspeud Champion Word Jam Champion
shootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOT
shootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOT

im batman

shootermcgavin003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #1402
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

No, I'm Batman.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #1403
shootermcgavin003
Pro Golfer

Spiffyspeud Champion Word Jam Champion
shootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOT
shootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOT

i hate that picture

shootermcgavin003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #1404
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

No, I hate that picture!

[IMG]Kermit De Frog holding fake-ass cartoon bomb above his head while constipated[IMG]
Old 10-02-2012, 02:40 AM   #1405
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Sometimes I wonder if maybe I'm not doing a good enough job. Am I professional enough? Am I protecting my users from downtime and data loss enough?

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Res...ZZ_Z_ZZ_N_Z123

Quote:
On Monday morning, October 1, Verizon experienced a service disruption that affected email for some of our customers. Customers now are able to send and receive email normally and will continue to have access to their calendar and address book. However, until the issue is resolved, it will not be possible to see any email sent or received along with personal folders created prior to this service interruption. We’re working to recover any email and folders that cannot be seen at this time.

Customers that regularly use a POP email client such as Microsoft Outlook, Yahoo or Mac Mail will not notice any adverse impact outside of the temporary inability earlier today to connect to your servers.
...then sometimes I see that even the hugest companies in the world make mistakes too.

In other news, I know a better way to merge two Exchange/Outlook calendars than the answers that Google provides. Google it and you'll get Microsoft pages and forum posts saying to export the calendar and then import it. There IS a better, faster way.

Instead, click the View ribbon, and the first button on the left is "Change View". Click that and choose "List". Now your calendar is displayed as a folder full of items. Click any one, Ctrl+A to select all, right-drag to destination calendar, choose Copy or Move from the context menu. Celebrate.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #1406
Cez★
C-E-Z★ bitch

El Emigrante Champion Kill Time in Your Office Champion Tobby: Crane Champion Zelda Champion
Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

halp? trying to figure out why this shit wont calculate right. it does the first two examples right but the other two i get bad numbers
Quote:
Select Case decTxtWeight

Case Is <= 2
decMileageCost = 0.01D

Case Is > 2 And CInt(decTxtWeight <= 6)
decMileageCost = 0.015D

Case Is > 6 And CInt(decTxtWeight <= 10)
decMileageCost = 0.02D

Case Is > 10 And CInt(decTxtWeight <= 20)
decMileageCost = 0.025D
End Select

decTxtCharge = decMileageCost * decTxtDistance
TxtCharge.Text = Format(decTxtCharge, "0.00")
not sure wtf is wrong if two work and the other two dont

example numbers are
1.5 Kgs and 100 miles (total should equal to $1.00)
5 Kgs and 200 miles (total should equal to $3.00)
8 Kgs and 750 miles (total should equal to $15.00) I get $11.25
15 Kgs and 2000 miles (total should equal to $50.00) I get $30.00

Quote:
I am the robber of my cradle. Candy is my body and teddy-bears are my blood. I have snatched over a thousand little girls. Unknown to police. Nor known to Chris Henson. Have withstood time to stalk many children. Yet those kids will never be enough. So as I pray--

Unlimited Pedo Works
Cez★ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #1407
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Desk-checking that with my vague ability to remember anything about programming, your code looks like it should work.

Have you checked the value of each variable, all along the way? Your IDE may provide ways to do this, but I would usually insert an output and pause (dialog box in a GUI program or print and input prompt in CLI) between each operation, showing me current position and each variable that's in play.

Here's your code with some pseudocode to demonstrate what I'm talking about:
Code:
Select Case decTxtWeight

Case Is <= 2
 decMileageCost = 0.01D
dialogue("Case <=2; decMileageCost = " + decMileageCost + "; decTxtWeight = " + decTxtWeight)

decMileageCost = 0.015D
dialogue("Case >2; decMileageCost = " + decMileageCost + "; decTxtWeight = " + decTxtWeight)

decMileageCost = 0.02D
dialogue("Case >6; decMileageCost = " + decMileageCost + "; decTxtWeight = " + decTxtWeight)

decMileageCost = 0.025D
dialogue("Case >10; decMileageCost = " + decMileageCost + "; decTxtWeight = " + decTxtWeight)
 End Select

dialogue("Case ended; decMileageCost = " + decMileageCost + "; decTxtWeight = " + decTxtWeight)

dialogue("decTxtDistance = " + decTxtDistance)
dialogue("decTxtCharge = " + decTxtCharge + "decMileageCost = " + decMileageCost "; decTxtDistance = " + decTxtDistance)
When you do that, you will know exactly which line is broken.

Some other comments:

Is it necessary to convert to integer for the second condition in each case? If so, why is it not necessary to convert to integer for the first condition?

Is the second condition even necessary? Some languages may process the entire Select before making a decision, some may drop out of the Select on the first match.
  • For languages that drop out, a better design might be to reverse the order of cases. Start with Case Is > 10, then do Case Is > 6, etc. Or, you could work entirely with < instead of >, so the second one would be Case Is <=6.
  • For languages that process the entire Select, the strategy is similar but reversed; keep the cases in the same order and reverse the operator or reverse the order and keep the operator. It will change the value of the variable multiple times if it goes through the entire list, but it's still fewer CPU cycles than all those extra tests.
The unnecessary extra operations not only waste CPU cycles, but they also make your code unnecessarily complex to keep bug-free and to debug once you're aware of a bug.

Also, you're missing a catch-all for when decTxtWeight is over 20. In a real-life situation you'd have a catch-all for all decTxtWeight values not covered by the Select, and usually you'd skip the last Case and let the catch-all handle it
Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #1408
stonehenge
y u hovering on my shit for?

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Make catch all that pops up a message saying "over 20? Gooby pls."

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #1409
Cez★
C-E-Z★ bitch

El Emigrante Champion Kill Time in Your Office Champion Tobby: Crane Champion Zelda Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Desk-checking that with my vague ability to remember anything about programming, your code looks like it should work.

Have you checked the value of each variable, all along the way? Your IDE may provide ways to do this, but I would usually insert an output and pause (dialog box in a GUI program or print and input prompt in CLI) between each operation, showing me current position and each variable that's in play.

Here's your code with some pseudocode to demonstrate what I'm talking about:
Code:
Select Case decTxtWeight

Case Is <= 2
 decMileageCost = 0.01D
dialogue("Case <=2; decMileageCost = " + decMileageCost + "; decTxtWeight = " + decTxtWeight)

decMileageCost = 0.015D
dialogue("Case >2; decMileageCost = " + decMileageCost + "; decTxtWeight = " + decTxtWeight)

decMileageCost = 0.02D
dialogue("Case >6; decMileageCost = " + decMileageCost + "; decTxtWeight = " + decTxtWeight)

decMileageCost = 0.025D
dialogue("Case >10; decMileageCost = " + decMileageCost + "; decTxtWeight = " + decTxtWeight)
 End Select

dialogue("Case ended; decMileageCost = " + decMileageCost + "; decTxtWeight = " + decTxtWeight)

dialogue("decTxtDistance = " + decTxtDistance)
dialogue("decTxtCharge = " + decTxtCharge + "decMileageCost = " + decMileageCost "; decTxtDistance = " + decTxtDistance)
When you do that, you will know exactly which line is broken.

Some other comments:

Is it necessary to convert to integer for the second condition in each case? If so, why is it not necessary to convert to integer for the first condition?

Is the second condition even necessary? Some languages may process the entire Select before making a decision, some may drop out of the Select on the first match.
  • For languages that drop out, a better design might be to reverse the order of cases. Start with Case Is > 10, then do Case Is > 6, etc. Or, you could work entirely with < instead of >, so the second one would be Case Is <=6.
  • For languages that process the entire Select, the strategy is similar but reversed; keep the cases in the same order and reverse the operator or reverse the order and keep the operator. It will change the value of the variable multiple times if it goes through the entire list, but it's still fewer CPU cycles than all those extra tests.
The unnecessary extra operations not only waste CPU cycles, but they also make your code unnecessarily complex to keep bug-free and to debug once you're aware of a bug.

Also, you're missing a catch-all for when decTxtWeight is over 20. In a real-life situation you'd have a catch-all for all decTxtWeight values not covered by the Select, and usually you'd skip the last Case and let the catch-all handle it

idk why i should make the first convert to an integer if it works

what second condition are ye talking aboot?

Quote:
I am the robber of my cradle. Candy is my body and teddy-bears are my blood. I have snatched over a thousand little girls. Unknown to police. Nor known to Chris Henson. Have withstood time to stalk many children. Yet those kids will never be enough. So as I pray--

Unlimited Pedo Works
Old 10-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #1410
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

So I don't know why and you don't know why...how did the CInt get there?

The second condition is "And CInt(decTxtWeight blah blah blah". The first condition is "Case Is > number".

Wait a minute, I may have found the problem.
"CInt(decTxtWeight <= 6)"
If you take CInt out of that, the value of (decTxtWeight <= 6) is boolean, isn't it? I think what you were trying to do (though I don't know why) is "CInt(decTxtWeight) <= 6" (substitute other numbers in other cases).
Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #1411
Cez★
C-E-Z★ bitch

internet

i thought the cint was kinda like "do this with this number if its greater than interger entered"

and ill remove that Cint @ home since i no bring lappy

Quote:

Unlimited Pedo Works
Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #1412
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #1413
Cez★
C-E-Z★ bitch

:redturtleshell:

Quote:

Unlimited Pedo Works
Old 10-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #1414
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...-parse-vs-cint
"So in short, CInt does much more than convert a string to an integer, e.g. applying specific rounding rules to fractions, short circuting unecessary conversions etc."
Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #1415
JayBo
♪♫Boogie Woogie King♫♪

JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:
JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:

Ordered toner..

for wrong printer
Old 10-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #1416
stonehenge
y u hovering on my shit for?

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #1417
Cez★
C-E-Z★ bitch

cao. wont run without the Cint

says "expression is not an array or method, and cannot have an argument list"

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

ok so just now i hhad removed the "and Cint" this time i removed "Cint" only. now it tells me "option strict on disallows implicit conversions from boolean to integer"

Quote:

Unlimited Pedo Works
Old 10-03-2012, 01:07 AM   #1418
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Ok, that kinda makes sense, it's looking for an integer value and the test on the right is boolean. However, converting it to an integer doesn't make it into good logic. Boolean means true/false; when you convert it to an integer you get 1 or 0. So, a statement like this:
really means
Case Is > 2 And 0
or
Case Is > 2 And 1
depending on decTxtWeight.

I think you need to get rid of the "And" and everything to its right, then you may need to repair the logic.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #1419
Cez★
C-E-Z★ bitch

i get the "expression is not an array or method and cannot have an argument list" again

Quote:

Unlimited Pedo Works
Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #1420
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

What language is it?

Why does the first case not return any errors without the crap on the right but the rest need crap on the right?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #1421
Cez★
C-E-Z★ bitch

idk and thats whats pising me off

language = english

tehre some VB site i can ax for halp?

Quote:

Unlimited Pedo Works
Old 10-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #1422
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

So it's VB? VB.net, I assume?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #1423
Cez★
C-E-Z★ bitch

visual basic.

whys that site in doitch

Quote:

Unlimited Pedo Works
Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #1424
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

I'm asking if it's VB.net, not suggesting you go to a site whose address is VB.net.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Basic_.NET
Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #1425
Cez★
C-E-Z★ bitch

yea vb.net

Quote:

Unlimited Pedo Works