Go Back   All Offtopic Forums > Offtopic > Anything Goes
Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
Default Dropbox and similar services

Have you ever used a service that synchronizes files between computers, over the internet and through firewalls, as well as letting you access those files from their website?

Dropbox gives you 2GB for free and works perfectly. I have been using it for years and I love it.

Microsoft Live Mesh is more powerful. It worked great for a couple years but after March 31 they're discontinuing the beta version...and the new version won't run on Windows XP. The new version uses 5GB of your free 25GB SkyDrive, as well as letting you sync folders between computers without putting them in the cloud. Both versions also gave you a tunneled Remote Desktop connection from any computer (or from their web site) to any computers where you have it installed.

I just found out about SugarSync. I installed it and am using it now. 5GB free and quite similar to Dropbox. Seems to be more powerful and the client is better. Googling it, I've found some people giving it bad reviews for sync conflict resolution problems.

I tried Wuala a while back and hated it. I can't remember why.

I have not tried Syncplicity, SpiderOak, or Ubuntu One, but they seem similar to SugarSync and Dropbox.

There's no shortage of synchronization programs and services. There's no shortage of cloud storage. But, are there any combined ones that I've forgotten? That is, programs that keep your data locally, store it in the cloud, and keep everything synchronized?

How about hacks that accomplish the same thing using existing cloud storage? I've seen programs that mount your GMail or SkyDrive as a local drive, but they don't keep your files locally and sync them; instead they just mount those things as (basically) a network drive.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
MikeH
waffler

MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Box.net gives you 5GB to sync. I just wish they would support larger file sizes.

I just use Dropbox because they have an app for Android.
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
Andrew
ಠ_ಠ

Dogfight Champion Starship Shooter Champion Soap Bubble Champion Spanish 21 Champion Spank The Gimp Champion
Spank The Monkey Champion Sloyd Champion Snake 3D Champion Soccer Shootout Champion Spank The Booty Champion
SpongeBobs Bumper Subs Champion Weetabix Games:Cycling Champion Weetabix Games:Swimming Champion Tube Race Champion Surfs Up Champion
Whack-A-Frittah Champion Wak The Sak Champion Ya-Dancer !! Champion Star Wars 2 Champion TennisGuru Champion
Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(
Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(

That is one of the best spam bot posts I've ever seen.

nah...srs though. Prolly will look into this. Im always in need of crap off laptop/desktop. Ive been using Orb recently though Mostly just for watching random shows/movies at skoooool
Old 02-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Box.net looks like exactly what I'm talking about. Cool, another free 5GB.

How does Orb work? Looks like it's just for making your computer into a streaming media server.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:24 AM   #5
stonehenge
y u hovering on my shit for?

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
Default Re: Dropbox and similar services

Since my home connection is so horrid I haven't used these much but a lot of times I've used DropBox because if the android app.
stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:33 AM   #6
Andrew
ಠ_ಠ

Dogfight Champion Starship Shooter Champion Soap Bubble Champion Spanish 21 Champion Spank The Gimp Champion
Spank The Monkey Champion Sloyd Champion Snake 3D Champion Soccer Shootout Champion Spank The Booty Champion
SpongeBobs Bumper Subs Champion Weetabix Games:Cycling Champion Weetabix Games:Swimming Champion Tube Race Champion Surfs Up Champion
Whack-A-Frittah Champion Wak The Sak Champion Ya-Dancer !! Champion Star Wars 2 Champion TennisGuru Champion
Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(
Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(Andrew is jealous cuz Mike don't haz dreams about him :(

Yea, thats mostly all it is. I only use it for movies and tv shows when I go to friends to watch stuff on my comp there...can upload documents to it as well, but I haven't used that a whole lot.

These programs seem to let you just remote into your computer? Or do you have to upload and then retrieve?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:35 AM   #7
MikeH
waffler

upload and download
Old 02-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

You don't upload or download. You just store your files (and kind of file) in a folder. The folder is synchronized with your other computers, and the web site, automatically.

So, I create c:\dropbox\notes.txt on my home computer and put something in it. When I get to work, c:\dropbox there already has my notes.txt. If I'm using someone else's computer I can go to dropbox.com, log on, and download/upload notes.txt there. I make a change on the website or on my work computer and when I go home the change is there.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

I just found out that if anyone uses my SugarSync referral link I get some extra space for free, and the person who used my referral link does too. What the hell, might as well put it here, right?
https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=d733faoyrnp2p

(cool spambot bro!)
Old 02-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
Jaymez

Jaymez does it for the C-twoirtuhlzJaymez does it for the C-twoirtuhlzJaymez does it for the C-twoirtuhlzJaymez does it for the C-twoirtuhlzJaymez does it for the C-twoirtuhlzJaymez does it for the C-twoirtuhlzJaymez does it for the C-twoirtuhlzJaymez does it for the C-twoirtuhlzJaymez does it for the C-twoirtuhlzJaymez does it for the C-twoirtuhlz
Default Dropbox and similar services

I use dropbox for small files, but, I want something that will work for free on a 1TB directory.
Jaymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Microsoft Live Mesh includes syncing that doesn't require you to use their online storage. It should work.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Dropbox news!

Get 5GB free additional space:
- Install the beta of their new client software. http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=53104
- Plug in a camera, SD card, USB hard drive, etc containing photos and videos.
- At autorun dialog, choose import to dropbox.
- For every 500MB you upload your capacity will increase by 500MB, up to 5GB.
- Supposedly, you keep the bonus space even if you delete the uploads and even after the beta period ends.

I also found out about Dropbox's other free bonus space options:

1. 250MB free for completing introductory tasks: https://www.dropbox.com/gs (They didn't have this when I started)

2. Referrals are good for 250MB...or 500MB if you give them your .edu email address! http://dropbox.com/edu

In non-Dropbox related news, you get 512GB (not a typo) with Beecloud (a Livedrive reseller) but I don't think it synchronizes across computers, I think it just backs up to the cloud. There's also doubts about their encryption. I plan to use it for stuff that's not sensitive, if I ever get stuff sorted like that...probably most of my photo collection, at least.

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Oh hey, I just realized I can post a Dropbox referral link just like Sugarsync.
http://db.tt/fkUngjDJ
If you sign up from that URL, you get 250MB extra space and I get a bonus too.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
MikeH
waffler

You have to upload 500MB at once in order to get the extra space.

I havent used Minus in a while but if they updated their desktop client to be more like DB then it would be the best

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

minus referral http://min.us/rdLnTJd
Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
race2c
Garage Status

race2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imo
race2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imorace2c can perform some srs rep rapes imo

I use dropbox (for android-aot sharing) and box (for school/personal stuff).

IIRC, box gives away 50gb pretty readily with referrals.

CAM
king of wafflers
foo is deep
guarantee expert
opinion hoar
race2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
MikeH
waffler

Minus gives you 50GB too IIRC. They also use to allow uploads of up to 1GB in size, not sure if thats the case anymore.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

oh and that referral link gets you another GB.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
stonehenge

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Box.net isn't bad but only 5gb I think
Old 02-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

So, to review: Do Box and Minus clients automatically upload everything that happens in a folder on your PC? Do they synchronize to your other PCs/devices? Any thoughts on encryption and security?

Just trying to sort it all out and spend the most time on the ones that will do what I want.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #18
stonehenge

I known that at work we won't use dropbox because so.severe in the EULA it says that they have the right to sell your data and some other NSIW things, they've also been hacked before I think. I guess some coworkers looked over Box's EULA and it seems to sound better from that standpoint and hasn't been hacked AFAIK. But my coworkers might just be being anal lol

Not sure about Minus or any of the clients.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #19
MikeH
waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
So, to review: Do Box and Minus clients automatically upload everything that happens in a folder on your PC? Do they synchronize to your other PCs/devices? Any thoughts on encryption and security?

Just trying to sort it all out and spend the most time on the ones that will do what I want.
You have to pay money in order to use the Box desktop client. Minus' is just an upload/download tool I believe.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Aw crap. I guess I should have kept up on Dropbox news. Back when I signed up, the terms of service were good and there was no record of compromises.

Mike, now that you mention it I remember that's why I didn't go further with Box, and that's what Minus looked like but I hoped I read it wrong.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #21
MikeH
waffler

I have used the desktop client in months though, probably around the time they had launched.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

You could also try CX

https://www.cx.com/mycx/referral_sig...EeGSpxIBOBubSA
Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #22
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Cool, looks like CX is good for 10GB with sync like Dropbox.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX terms and conditions
You may access, use and display this Website on a single computer only and download and print copies of the Content only for non-commercial, informational, personal use, without modification or alteration in any way, and only so long as you comply with these Terms of Use and applicable laws.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #23
stonehenge

rofl at service that lets you sync stuff but only to one computer
Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #24
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Can't even view the website on another computer.

Also can't link to any page other than their front page. I guess those referral links are grounds for termination!
Quote:
Linking

Unless otherwise agreed upon between you and CX, no link shall be made to any page of this Website except a direct link to the top page without framing. In addition, any link to this Website must be immediately followed by notice to CX via e-mail at [email protected].
Old 02-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #25
stonehenge