Go Back   All Offtopic Forums > Offtopic > Anything Goes
Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #101
2005_Silverado
Gnex Owner

2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

IDK I think they all lead to where my tv cables are. I wanna have both, wifi and hardwired
2005_Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #102
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Yeah, wall jacks will all run to a central location. On that end there should be a patch panel with a jack to match each wall jack. Plug those cables into a switch/hub/router and then they're all connected to eachother.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #103
stonehenge
y u hovering on my shit for?

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Yeah, wall jacks will all run to a central location. On that end there should be a patch panel with a jack to match each wall jack. Plug those cables into a switch/hub/router and then they're all connected to eachother.
Ok, I figured it had to work like that.
stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #104
2005_Silverado
Gnex Owner

2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.2005_Silverado says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
So all I would technically need is a router/hub and then connect that to my fios box?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #105
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Yup. It ought to be that simple. There are, of course, a couple possible failures, but any cheap router/firewall (wireless or wired, doesn't matter as long as it has enough jacks) and a few patch cables should get the job done.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #106
2005_Silverado
Gnex Owner

nice, I'll look into it.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #107
stonehenge

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005_Silverado View Post
nice, I'll look into it.
Only thing to watchout for is if your cables all lead to some closet in the corner of the house, then your wireless will be stuck inside that closet. You might want to add an access point at one of the jacks or something.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #108
2005_Silverado
Gnex Owner

I think all my cables lead to the garage where my tv cables are. vrz guy installed fios box there too. I seen a port that says router, so I think thats where you feed the hub where all the cables plug into right? Ima take some pics later, cuz Ive been wanting to add that since we moved in. fios box needed a coaxial cable, so we used the kitchen's cable to send signal to my wireless router, so I no have tv signal in kitchen which doesnt matter cuz i no have tv there. The wireless now plugs into that coaxial plug
Old 09-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #109
Manbearpig
:van:

Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

It eh?
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #110
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Storage. SAN WTF. Incomplete sentences.

(Warning: IT rant follows. If you don't understand it, it's not because you're stupid.)

I recently found out that all the school's football games have been recorded and stored on the file server. Just for this year they're up to half a terabyte. I found out because the server was full.

A couple years ago we had a consulting company build a major part of our central network. They put together a huge set of Microsoft Active Directory and Exchange systems to bring us into this century. We had been planning on getting a NAS just to give us some network storage, and they laughed at the idea, insisting that we need a SAN. They said that a NAS is for gringos estupidos, not the large professional organization we're trying to be.

So, instead of spending that money the way we planned, we pushed it through them and let them get us into the SAN they said we need. It was....a whole lot of money. A real lot. Until now it's always had plenty of space for everything we could possibly need it for; 4TB is a lot.

So now I'm looking at this football video issue. Having forgotten just how large our SAN is, I thought maybe I could allocate some of its space for the job. However, I think we'll need to expand it next year if we use it like that. Well whaddya know, all that money and it can't be expanded! I suppose maybe it could be rebuilt by replacing ALL its drives and then configuring it as if it was new, but we can't take it down to do that.

In the meantime, for a fraction of the price (granted it's a year and a half later now), I can get a 4TB NAS that can simultaneously work in SAN mode too.

WTF does a SAN do for me, then? WTF difference is there, besides the purchase price, the fact that I'm not qualified to configure it or otherwise work on it without being on the phone with tech support (at least the tech support is great), and the cost of the service contract? It can use iSCSI networking....whoop-de-doo.

I'm not wasting ridiculously expensive SAN space for these jocks' videos. Looks like we're getting a NAS, or maybe I'll just hook up some more drives for our file server.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #111
stonehenge

props for "gringos estupidos"

What exactly is the SAN? A server with a couple raids? Connected via fiber maybe?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:37 AM   #112
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

SAN stands for Storage Area Network. It is a big box of RAID-configured hard drives that connects to servers using iSCSI, a protocol that (as I understand) is approximately a combination of SCSI and gigabit ethernet that gives multiple servers direct control of the volumes on the SAN.

NAS is Network Attached Storage. It's a file server that you don't have to install the OS on, basically. Some have very small embedded OS and only deal in storage, some have a full server OS (mostly Linux-based but there's a couple running Windows Server) and can do some other things.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:30 AM   #113
stonehenge

Whenever we need more storage we just buy a server with lots of bays in it and a raid card

get a SATABeast
Old 11-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #114
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Yeah, I was thinking of just adding drives to one of our servers or getting another server.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #115
stonehenge

just buy like 20 external flash drives and hook them up in all your usb ports
Old 11-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #116
JayBo
♪♫Boogie Woogie King♫♪

JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:
JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:

I think I have a workstation with a dead HD..won't go completely through POST. Never gets past the splash screen really
Old 11-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #117
stonehenge

It should get through POST and get stuck when it goes to boot from the drive, may be something other than the HD

try pulling the HD, wouldn't it boot up and say no disk found? should tell you if its the drive if it passes POST/splash without one.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #118
JayBo
♪♫Boogie Woogie King♫♪

JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:

Only reason I immediately guessed HD is we had one do something very similar the other day and thats what it turned out to me. I'ma go to the server room and pull the hd cable..
Old 11-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #119
stonehenge

these damn computers i love them but sometimes I wish I could kill them all
Old 11-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #120
JayBo
♪♫Boogie Woogie King♫♪

Well removing HD cable did nothing. Removed RAM and cleaned it and the slot and tried again. Nothing.

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

It's not even passing the BIOS screen.
Damn dell optiplex 320
Old 11-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #121
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

<mode=Bon Jovi>
That box has got bad motherboard
bad motherboard is what's it's got
oh whoa ho fix it up it's got
bad motherboard
</mode>
Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #122
JayBo
♪♫Boogie Woogie King♫♪

Kinda sounds like it. It boots up to the part where it gives you F2 or F12 options, freezes and sits for days. Not eve far enough to let me use the keyboard or mouse as there only usb and thats the only kind you can use on this machine. It's a SFF
Old 11-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #123
stonehenge

you could also try removing/replacing the CMOS battery. Sometimes when they take shits it can fuck up the whole thing lol
Old 11-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #124
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Good point...CMOS could have some messed up settings, though usually anything like that would time out after no more than 10 minutes.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #125
stonehenge

Yeah most likely its the motherboard, but what the hell. Pull the battery for like 10 mins, put it back in, see if it boots. If not