Go Back   All Offtopic Forums > Offtopic > Anything Goes
Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #476
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

I was thinking, if I could get 10,000-20,000 miles out of it then I could take the time to plan and save for a swap that I really want.

The Buick V8 was attractive because I was under the mistaken impression that I could just grab one, ready to drive, for a couple hundred bucks any day of the week and it would take an hour or two to bolt in and then I'd be driving. Other than that, I don't like a carbureted engine nor one that's kinda uncommon.

What I'd really like is a 4.8 or 5.3. Incredibly common, wonderful driveability/reliability/parts availability/aftermarket, OBDII, programmable, efficient, etc. No fucking carburetor, 0F winter cold start just as good as a warm summer start. All the power I'll ever want. If I ever blow it, I can grab another one at the junkyard for $125 any day of the week.

We touched on that idea earlier, but what will I need for this swap?

1. Engine, obviously. The yard that sells engines for $125 has tons of GMFS trucks.

2. Shallow oil pan? Shallow intake manifold? Will height be a problem?

3. How do I deal with engine mounts? Easy to hack? Is there a prefab conversion mount?

4. Bellhousing obviously. I know nobody here knows what I'll need but I can figure that out with google.

5. Harness. DIY or buy some kind of prefab?

6. PCM, obviously. Any sensors I'll need? IDGAF if it has Service Engine Soon and tons of codes all the time, if I do end up caring I can work on it a little at a time. Can I get away with skipping a custom program?

7. Custom exhaust, I assume...any way to bolt it together with off-the-shelf parts instead?

8. Fuel tank/pump. I think google can tell me what I need, or I can just grab a B-body LT1's tank/pump. It does look like I can even use my old tank and an inline pump, or a sump made for my old tank.

9. Anything special for cooling system? Just find some bendy hoses to plumb it to my radiator? Hack together a shroud that fits, I guess.

10. Accessories: I hope to use accessories and brackets that come on the engine, but not sure if power steering would be easy to hook up. A/C needs to be taken apart, evacuated, seals replaced anyway so I can use the compressor that comes with the engine.

What do I do for those things? What am I forgetting?
Old 09-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #477
stonehenge
y u hovering on my shit for?

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #478
shootermcgavin003
Pro Golfer

Spiffyspeud Champion Word Jam Champion
shootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOT
shootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOT

doing a ls1 swap is high dollar and i dont think you would find a ls engine of any sort for 125 bucks.

to do a ls swap you have to have all kinds of shit.
if you find a engine for 125 its prob going to garbage 800 is usually for a decent 4.8.
ecm you will def have to have it programmed 250-500 no way around it.
exhaust manifolds and the exhaust its all going to have be made up for this swap they sell headers for older car swaps fiugre 500 at least there.
lt1 tank yes and then swap to different fuel pump 300 more.
custom motor mounts these are cheap at least at 50 bucks or so.
oil pan and custom pick up are a must 250 there.
unless you can find a 02 prior engine you need to swap the gas pedal for a dbw one.
your trans idk if it will work with the ls speed sensors and all if not you need something that will.
the brackets this big one too only one that works is one you need custom ac and ps ones look at a 250 at least here too.
now your gauges are mech you electric ones so figure new ones cheap is 300.
you can mod the stock harness and keep a clutch fan.
all the fuel lines will need redone add that in.

cheapest ls swap ive seen costed 1800 bucks it was very very many used parts and he got the engine free.

for that money you could build the sbb up to 400 hp 450 ft lbs and still tbi it for less.

bellhousing what trans is the stick? you could drop in a nv3500 from a fullsize but thats more money.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...de-1500-a.html

thats as bare bones as it gets it cost and no ac. so i guess 1300 if you got the engine for 125 and didnt use ac.

Last edited by shootermcgavin003; 09-06-2014 at 08:43 PM.
shootermcgavin003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #479
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

http://www.henrysautoparts.com/
They have tons of GMFS trucks and their price for engines, regardless of vehicle, is $125. Buy the warranty for $35 more and I can bring it back if it's DOA.

Fuck DBW, I would definitely get a cable throttle one.

Why would speed sensors and gauges matter? Would the engine not run right if I don't hook up the speed sensor and gauges? I think I've run my truck with the cluster disconnected, and I know people with failed VSS don't have to get towed home.

Trans is a T5, and I'd have to upgrade to a stronger T5 if I wanted to keep that. 4.8 would chew it up, let alone 5.3 (which is what I'd most likely find at le junkyard). I'd really want a T56, but I don't know how confident I am that I can move the shifter forward...not to mention, acquiring a T56 for under $1000. NV3500 is an option I've considered and might do.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #480
shootermcgavin003
Pro Golfer

shootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOT
shootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTshootermcgavin003 will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOT

now what i could with a 350 depending on the power you wanted. if you had a high comp motor. port match the heads intake then add a 268 cam. then add headers. headers you can find used for 200 all the time the port match is free if you do it at home. the cam is about 250 bucks. then about 30 for the lifters and you 10 bucks for some used stage 1 455 springs. 400 hp all day long tq is way north of 400 ft lbs.. then if you want tbi just keep the 2 bb intake and use sbc unit and ecm. ive seen them in 100-200 dollar range. a local place can burn chips for them for 180 bucks on top on that. to make the same power out of a 4.8 or 5.3 and swap it would be what 3-4k

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
http://www.henrysautoparts.com/
They have tons of GMFS trucks and their price for engines, regardless of vehicle, is $125. Buy the warranty for $35 more and I can bring it back if it's DOA.

Fuck DBW, I would definitely get a cable throttle one.

Why would speed sensors and gauges matter? Would the engine not run right if I don't hook up the speed sensor and gauges? I think I've run my truck with the cluster disconnected, and I know people with failed VSS don't have to get towed home.

Trans is a T5, and I'd have to upgrade to a stronger T5 if I wanted to keep that. 4.8 would chew it up, let alone 5.3 (which is what I'd most likely find at le junkyard). I'd really want a T56, but I don't know how confident I am that I can move the shifter forward...not to mention, acquiring a T56 for under $1000. NV3500 is an option I've considered and might do.
well you not going to be able to use it effectivley without gauges. the engine dont have to have a gauge to run but does have to have vss. failed vss a ls wont run. i dont see him selling a engine all the fuel system the wiring harness and the ecm for 125 bucks. i would imagine your getting a bare bones block if your lucky.

Last edited by shootermcgavin003; 09-06-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #481
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

No, $125 is engine sans accessories, oil pan to throttle body, probably including exhaust manifolds. No harness/ECM/fuel tank/lines/pump/alternator/PS pump/compressor/etc.

Why wouldn't I be able to use it without gauges? My existing gauges won't stop working when I replace the engine. For VSS I think I can use an adapter that goes inline with the two-piece speedometer cable. I have such an adapter though I might need a different one for stock ECM.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #482
shootermcgavin003
Pro Golfer

i like both motors and if you had something like sbc id prob say yeah go ahead and swap it but when it comes to a bop motor or caddi i wouldnt swap it.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
No, $125 is engine sans accessories, oil pan to throttle body, probably including exhaust manifolds. No harness/ECM/fuel tank/lines/pump/alternator/PS pump/compressor/etc.

Why wouldn't I be able to use it without gauges? My existing gauges won't stop working when I replace the engine. For VSS I think I can use an adapter that goes inline with the two-piece speedometer cable. I have such an adapter though I might need a different one for stock ECM.
it can just not going to be ideal. still need the vss though to run and its electric driven vss not manual. you will have to scrap the manifolds anyhow. if you have to buy a harness and ecm all that shit its not really a savings. those harness go for about 500 bucks used or alot more new/aftermarket.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

if i were to do a ls swap id go ahead and buy a whole junk truck and scrap or sell what i didnt need.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #483
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

What kind of issues would I be looking at without a cluster?

PCM at that junkyard is $25. Harness is not specified on their price list but I imagine they'll want $50-100 for it if I don't want to buy prefab conversion harness.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #484
shootermcgavin003
Pro Golfer

you going to have to jerk all the mech shit out for electric. ls everyhing is ecm driven. 300 bucks for a dolphin set if you use something like that.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

still looking at 250-500 to get it programmed. it has to be programmed due the vats and shit.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

i was looking at doing a 4.8 swap on the caprice my great uncle had it was 89 at a time he was going to give it to me for scrap price. was about 1200 in parts plus the engine.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #485
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Might be a possibility.

I really hate carburetors and other old engine tech so it'd be more worth it to me than for someone who doesn't share my hatred.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #486
shootermcgavin003
Pro Golfer

i really like tbi its simple to take care of but has all the efi cold start benifits.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #487
pwtr02ss
dododododooooooo

pwtr02ss likes big butts and he cannot lie.pwtr02ss likes big butts and he cannot lie.pwtr02ss likes big butts and he cannot lie.pwtr02ss likes big butts and he cannot lie.pwtr02ss likes big butts and he cannot lie.

If you have the money, the ls swap is the way to go. I can walk you through everything you need. The speedo and all that junk don't have to work to be drivable. I ue the speedo app on my phone when I drive my truck.
1974 C-10- Lowered 5/5, Bonspeed Billets, 08 LSX Swap, Full Frame Off Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
i heard a guy say the only thing im trying to catch at some fishing tournament requires a a half a bottle of xanax as bait once
pwtr02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #488
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

I won't even lose my mechanical speedo unless I upgrade my transmission to something other than a t5. Pretty sure no VSS is necessary for the engine, just for an automatic trans, but the takeoff is cheap anyway.

Besides my mechanical speedo I always have my phone speedo on the dash anyway as part of my dash cam app.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #489
pwtr02ss
dododododooooooo

pwtr02ss likes big butts and he cannot lie.pwtr02ss likes big butts and he cannot lie.pwtr02ss likes big butts and he cannot lie.pwtr02ss likes big butts and he cannot lie.pwtr02ss likes big butts and he cannot lie.

Yea, if you get a older 5.3 or 4.8, no VSS is needed. Just stand alone harness and a few changes on the tune.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Have you been driving it around?

Quote:
i heard a guy say the only thing im trying to catch at some fishing tournament requires a a half a bottle of xanax as bait once
Old 09-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #490
shootermcgavin003
Pro Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwtr02ss View Post
Yea, if you get a older 5.3 or 4.8, no VSS is needed. Just stand alone harness and a few changes on the tune.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Have you been driving it around?
have to set the rev limiter and shit in the tune. reading about it now.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

still could drop in the 350 and tbi it for less though.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #491
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

I idled it 30-90 minutes total, drove it a couple miles, then last night drove it 30 miles to the shop...they're gonna test for CO in the cooling system. Wife drove behind, says it was stinky. No visible smoke while driving. It's idling at lower RPM. Pretty sure it was down on power, especially at low vacuum, but I did reconnect a hose that I think has been disconnected for years and probably botched up a few hoses.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:58 PM   #492
shootermcgavin003
Pro Golfer

sounds like its ok

Old 09-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #493
pwtr02ss
dododododooooooo

Id drive it til it quits.

Quote:
Old 09-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #494
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Winter's coming...DNW to have it quit in the middle of nowhere at 4F.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #495
pwtr02ss
dododododooooooo

put heater and blankets in car…problem solved

Quote:
Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #496
shootermcgavin003
Pro Golfer

put all kinds of dirty pics in car. keep self warm.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #497
pwtr02ss
dododododooooooo

Quote:
Old 10-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #498
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

http://blog.advanceautoparts.com/201...buick-lesabre/
Old 10-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #499
shootermcgavin003
Pro Golfer

rather turn into a musclar pt build

Old 10-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #500
stonehenge
y u hovering on my shit for?

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

pt cruiser?
stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote