Go Back   All Offtopic Forums > Offtopic > Anything Goes
Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #1226
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo View Post
Is novell netware the software that lets you basically deploy an image to each computer instead of having to do each install individually?

Im trying to find something to help cut down on the amount of time we spend working/installing/etc in the labs. I need network wide shit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo View Post
What I'm really looking for is something like a user profile. I can make desktop look like I want, etc. When computer boots, it loads that image, or profile. whatever it's called.

So when I have to say for instance, add a printer. I don't have to do it 30/60/90 times. I can just do it once.
Printers in the lab are a HUGE pain in the ass. You might want to use 3rd party software. We install "local" printers using "Standard TCP/IP" ports, that works for us although these days we use a terminal server anyway.

Desktop wallpaper and options, the easy way to deal with that is with Group Policy. Set that shit in a policy applying to the users or setup a loopback policy applying to the computers.

You could change the default profile template. It's a little hacky to do but once it's done it works well. The only problem is that you can't adjust it for existing users after the fact unless you want to delete their profiles.

Didn't you say you have one generic user rather than accounts for each person? In that case, you could probably just copy the profile from one computer to the next, or use roaming profiles (which stores the profile on the server).

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

There's a few different Microsoft options for pushing printer profiles over the network but they don't fucking work.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #1227
stonehenge
y u hovering on my shit for?

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Printers in the lab are a HUGE pain in the ass.
fixed
stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #1228
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #1229
JayBo
♪♫Boogie Woogie King♫♪

JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:
JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:

Yeah. In the labs we use 1 generic login.
I've locked that user down a good bit in the group policy. Well, the things I could think of anyhow. Not sure if I'm leaving something out that they could access. Basically, I want to keep them from changing wallpaper, moving icons, etc. And from installing anything without an administrator password, which the teacher keeps.

I've basically done all that. I just get tired of having to go to each machine to install printers and other BS software.
I tried the user profiles one time. I didn't have much luck though. In a few of the labs we use Deep Freeze. I HATE that shit.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #1230
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Locking it down that tight could be difficult and would probably require 3rd party software.

What about changing the Windows shell from Explorer to something else? Even if you don't do that, you could make it run a program that doesn't have normal controls or the ability to exit easily. Set it up to respawn, disable the taskbar, and leave just one icon on the desktop that runs the program if they double click it.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #1231
VmaxEngage
melons :drool:

VmaxEngage will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTVmaxEngage will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTVmaxEngage will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTVmaxEngage will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOT
VmaxEngage will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTVmaxEngage will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTVmaxEngage will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTVmaxEngage will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTVmaxEngage will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOTVmaxEngage will gtfo if Matt becomes mod on AOT

Started a Hardware Maintenance class tonight. Gonna try to get my A+ cert after
Old 08-21-2012, 04:15 AM   #1232
stonehenge

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Dat hard wares

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #1233
JayBo
♪♫Boogie Woogie King♫♪

JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:
JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Locking it down that tight could be difficult and would probably require 3rd party software.

What about changing the Windows shell from Explorer to something else? Even if you don't do that, you could make it run a program that doesn't have normal controls or the ability to exit easily. Set it up to respawn, disable the taskbar, and leave just one icon on the desktop that runs the program if they double click it.

That could be an option.

Has applied for around 7 new IT jobs. Declined from 2
Old 08-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #1234
stonehenge

from reddit w/ the title "Must... power... through... the stupid..." :

I do Tier 1 helpdesk work for a large, well-known, nation-wide organization.

(Caps are not screaming, just talking obscenely loud like you want to make sure everyone around you can hear you be a prick. There was no background noise to yell over.)

Me: Thank you for calling blah blah blah, may I have your last name please?

Her: XXXXXXX AND I HAVE A PROBLEM I NEED TO CALL IN ANOTHER TICKET BECAUSE THE GUYS TOLD ME THEY COULDN'T LOOK AT THIS PROBLEM WHEN THEY CAME OUT FOR MY OTHER ISSUE AND I HAVE A TICKET NUMBER AND I NEED-

Me: Whoa, whoa, whoa, Ma'am? MA'AM? ...Spell that last name for me.

Her: X-X-X-X-X-X-X AND THEY TOLD ME I NEEDED THIS TICKET AND MY OTHER ONE AT THE SAME TIME AND -

Me: Ma'am... and your first name?

Her: XXXX AND I-

Me: And what can I do for you?

Her: THEY JUST GAVE ME A NEW MACHINE AND MY EMAIL DOESN'T WORK.

Me: Can you be a little more specific Ma'am? What exactly isn't working about it? What exactly are you trying to do and what happens when you try to do it?

Her: IT'S JUST GONE. IT'S NOT THERE ANYMORE. I LOOKED IN PROGRAMS AND IT'S NOT THERE. I CAN'T FIND IT.

Me: Okay, I'd like you to click on start.

Her: I ALREADY DID THAT AND I CAN'T FIND IT.

Me: After you click on start, go to all programs.

Her: I DID THIS BEFORE AND IT WASN'T THERE.

Me: After you click on all programs, there should be a list of program icons followed by a lot of folders.

Her: AND MY OUTLOOK ISN'T THERE, I TOLD YOU.

Me: In that folder list you'll see one named "Microsoft Office". Inside that folder you'll see a list of Microsoft Office programs. Almost exactly in the middle of that list, you'll see "Microsoft Office Outlook 2010". Click there.

Her: OH... oh...

click

Old 08-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #1235
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

That is certainly one of the most common calls.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #1236
chevyrado14
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

chevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theater
chevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theaterchevyrado14 drives a Chevrolet movie theater

sounds like a id10t error
Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #1237
stonehenge

pebcak
Old 08-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #1238
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Is anyone having connectivity issues? There may be some major failure on teh innernetz or something, based on some crap that just went down for me and some reports from some other dudes elsewhere...
Old 08-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #1239
stonehenge

I haven't noticed anything and I just checked our ticket system and see no complaints (we have lots of users so I image there'd be someone complaining).
Old 08-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #1240
fatkidkustomz
Resident Drunkard

fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:
fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:

Ok... I got another good one. As usual.

My friend's laptop died. He's computer illiterate so it was just one of those, "I don't know. It just died."

It still starts in safe mode. I've tried everything I know of and it had a hell of a lot of infections on it that anti-malwarebytes found. I tried a system restore through command prompt. Nothing. This is all I get.

Those codes mean anything to anyone?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1345995106325.jpg (25.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #1241
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Sometimes you can Google them and get answers...usually not.

ataport.sys sounds like a driver for the IDE/SATA interface. You could try deleting and reinstalling those drivers. Otherwise a repair install might be in order.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #1242
stonehenge

It's Vista or W7 right? I did some gewglin and people have various answers:
  • Some say you might be able to fix it by redoing the boot record. You'll have to boot to a repair disc and run these from the command prompt:

c:
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
  • Rootkit. Try ComboFix.
  • Use the TDSSkiller from Kapersky to remove this MBR-virus

There were some other "answers" too but the above are fairly easy to try and shouldn't screw anything up if you already have an ok boot record and no rootkit.

Edit: Like cao said, one of those "other answers" was to replace the ataport.sys file with a known good one. To do that you'll have to use some sort of boot/repair disc because I don't think Windows will let you swap that file while it's running.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #1243
fatkidkustomz
Resident Drunkard

fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:

It's Vista. I don't have any kind of repair disk or anything. And of course he can't find any of the shit that came with it. And since nobody includes a Windows disk with a new computer these days, I don't have a copy to just do a fresh install.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #1244
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Remove hd and slave as usb to replace that file.

Sent from my Venture using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
Old 08-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #1245
stonehenge

or burn a linux livecd, that should work too
Old 08-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #1246
fatkidkustomz
Resident Drunkard

He found the factory recovery disks. Got it back up and running with a factory restore, now I just have to go through and remove all the junk factory installed programs. Here goes another 2 hours.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:09 AM   #1247
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

http://pcdecrapifier.com
Old 08-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #1248
MikeH
waffler

MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.MikeH says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

put XP on an old POS laptop I found for my dad to use to browse teh internets and it is way smoother than fgt Vista was.
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #1249
stonehenge

If the machine handles it I like 7 now, if not then XP. Vista plz go and stay away with ME.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 08-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #1250
MikeH
waffler

I was gonna try 7 on it but figured XP might be less resource hungry.
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote