Go Back   All Offtopic Forums > Offtopic > Anything Goes
Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #326
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

XP activation can be annoying when you're trying to "do" stuff like this. There are hax, and then there's just using legit stuff.

Can you describe the clicking? Some hard drives just sound clicky, but certain click patterns are ALWAYS bad hardware. The worst sound is this:
Dink! WheeeEEEEEE....Dink! WheeeEEEEEE....Dink! WheeeEEEEEE....Dink! WheeeEEEEEE.... (where WheeeEEEEEE is the sound of it spinning up again)
Also: Dink clockalockalockalock Dink clockalockalockalock

You could try slaving the hard drive in another computer and checking it there. You could also boot a UBCD, WUBCD, BartPE, or a live Linux CD.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com
http://www.ubcd4win.com
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder
http://www.knoppix.net
Then test the HD from there. Be ready with a USB drive to put any found files on. If the drive is failing, you want to get files off of it ASAP, as it'll only get worse.

Also while booted or while the drive is plugged into another computer, look for c:\windows\ntbtlog.txt and see if you can find anything useful in it.

Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #327
fatkidkustomz
Resident Drunkard

fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:
fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:fatkidkustomz should get an anime avatar :animehmm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
XP activation can be annoying when you're trying to "do" stuff like this. There are hax, and then there's just using legit stuff.
I guess what I'm asking is to be legit is this: Say I buy a copy of XP to fix this one, then all of a sudden my brother has a problem and needs a wipe/re-install. If I use the same copy of XP, when I "activate" it online (as MS wants you to do within 30 days), will it be fine? As far as new updates, service packs, etc.

Quote:
Can you describe the clicking? Some hard drives just sound clicky, but certain click patterns are ALWAYS bad hardware. The worst sound is this:
Dink! WheeeEEEEEE....Dink! WheeeEEEEEE....Dink! WheeeEEEEEE....Dink! WheeeEEEEEE.... (where WheeeEEEEEE is the sound of it spinning up again)
Also: Dink clockalockalockalock Dink clockalockalockalock
I think it's the second one more than anything if I remember correctly. I'll have to fire it up again tonight.

Quote:
You could try slaving the hard drive in another computer and checking it there.
No way to do this unless I can do it with my laptop. And I honestly have no idea about how to go about it (yet). But I'm sure it's somewhat covered in the nifty 1200 page A+ Certification for Dummies book I just picked up last night.

Quote:
[You could also boot a UBCD, WUBCD, BartPE, or a live Linux CD.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com
http://www.ubcd4win.com
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder
http://www.knoppix.net
Then test the HD from there. Be ready with a USB drive to put any found files on. If the drive is failing, you want to get files off of it ASAP, as it'll only get worse.

Also while booted or while the drive is plugged into another computer, look for c:\windows\ntbtlog.txt and see if you can find anything useful in it.
I'll have to do some research on this route as well.

Quote:
Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration?
Yes... and it failed miserably.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #328
stonehenge
y u hovering on my shit for?

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Well if you buy one copy and use it for every installation you do for every person it will work for a while but your key may eventually get blacklisted or something and they will start getting piracy messages. AFAIK anyway.
stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #329
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

One copy is officially good for 3 different activations (even though it's legally good for only one computer), the last I heard.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #330
JayBo
♪♫Boogie Woogie King♫♪

JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:
JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:

Hey Cow

Riddle me this

Girl brought her Emachine in today b/c it just randomly shuts down when loading the OS (Vista)

It'll boot, go through POST, but when the Vista loading bar comes up BAM it goes off

I load it into the BIOS and let it sit thinking the CPU would warm up and cut off if that was the prob. NO dice.

Tried Safe Mode. Same thing. Just goes off.

I blew out the CPU fan and heatsink with canned air, blew out all PSUS fans etc, cleaned and reseated the ram, etc.

Any suggestions? I can't get it up far enough to look at any kind of boot log. Not even with linux. Its gotta be heat related, right?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #331
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Sitting at the BIOS screen wouldn't trigger a mildly overheating CPU/RAM, but it doesn't sound like it's overheating anyway. FYI you could use a stress-testing program such as one of the CPU burn-in programs found on the UBCD for future overheat testing.

If you can't boot Linux either then it's probably hardware. I'd try unplugging as much stuff as possible, and then get to replacing stuff starting with RAM and video card.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #332
JayBo
♪♫Boogie Woogie King♫♪

JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:JayBo thinks teh legal age of consent is 14 :uhoh:

I hope I haven't voided the warranty by opening the case.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

and I've been reading and overheating is a common problem to this model...
Old 02-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #333
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

I doubt it...people have to be able to add RAM without messing up their warranty.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #334
JayBo
♪♫Boogie Woogie King♫♪

Ok. I removed the HDD and have it hooked up via USB to my machine.
Where do I find the bootlogs?

Anyway, heres something different. If I try and boot from Linux cd with the HDD connected, it shuts off. If I d/c the HDD and boot from cd, it brings up the CD os and works fine..
Old 02-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #335
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

I'm pretty sure it's c:\windows\ntbtlog.txt

It sounds like a hardware problem with the HD controller or the HD, but it could still be RAM/CPU/mobo/BIOS. It's unlikely to be HD corruption and certainly not a Windows problem.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #336
JayBo
♪♫Boogie Woogie King♫♪

Im leaning towards HD controller right now
I did my best to check everything else.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #337
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Ok, so, the continuing saga of the laptop for the guy who doesn't want Vista...

In previous episodes, here's what happened:
- Tried to find legal downgrade licensing for XP
- Decided to semi FIWDIL it
- XP refused to run on this model
- Convinced user to stick with Vista because buying 7 would be too expensive

So, today I'm wrapping it up. I've cleaned up Vista and installed necessary programs. I've skinned it to look like Windows 95. It's almost done. I just have to acquire and install Office 97 and plug in his USB mouse and flash drive to make sure they work and won't prompt him for drivers.

I unpack the USB stuff, almost cutting fatal wounds in my hands opening the plastic clamshell packages. I proceed to sift all the paperwork, manuals, packages, and packing materials into a plastic bag to give back to him separately from his laptop case. A blue brochure catches my eye. "FREE Upgrade to Windows 7!"

Now I have to tell him the good news.

It's bad news for me. I'll do a whole lot more work but I won't charge a whole lot more money. I've put one hell of a lot of hours into XP on this thing but it was effectively my fault for not being able to make it work after trying so hard to convince him to use it.

I think I'll tell him to acquire the free Windows 7 upgrade but try out Vista for a while. In a year he'll call me and ask me to install it and I'll be happy to get some work.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #338
JayBo
♪♫Boogie Woogie King♫♪

Fawkin CHKDSK on this hardrive is taking forever

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

HDD checked OKay.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #339
Cez★
C-E-Z★ bitch

El Emigrante Champion Kill Time in Your Office Champion Tobby: Crane Champion Zelda Champion
Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Cez★ says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

probably going to buy a router over teh weekend and move my modem to teh kitchen and make that teh center of mah intrawebz network. any good routers?

Quote:
I am the robber of my cradle. Candy is my body and teddy-bears are my blood. I have snatched over a thousand little girls. Unknown to police. Nor known to Chris Henson. Have withstood time to stalk many children. Yet those kids will never be enough. So as I pray--

Unlimited Pedo Works
Cez★ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #340
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Belkin F5D7230-4 wifi-G router is good.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #341
Cez★
C-E-Z★ bitch

El Emigrante Champion Kill Time in Your Office Champion Tobby: Crane Champion Zelda Champion

where can i pick one up? best buy?

Quote:
I am the robber of my cradle. Candy is my body and teddy-bears are my blood. I have snatched over a thousand little girls. Unknown to police. Nor known to Chris Henson. Have withstood time to stalk many children. Yet those kids will never be enough. So as I pray--

Unlimited Pedo Works
Old 02-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #342
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Beats me, it's kinda old and may not be in stores anymore.

Really, any router ought to be decent. I'd look for one that gets good reviews for its wireless range, to make sure you get a decent signal.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #343
Cez★
C-E-Z★ bitch

Quote:

Unlimited Pedo Works
Old 02-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #344
stonehenge

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

swap meet
Old 02-05-2010, 03:16 AM   #345
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Another episode of the laptop-Vista saga:
He called at about noon and asked to postpone tonight's delivery until Saturday. That's good for me, gives me more time to get it right.

I installed Word 97.

I tried to install As Easy As, the DOS Lotus 123 clone that he uses, but Vista x64 doesn't like it. Fuck! Looks like it's time for virtualization. I don't expect DOSBox to work well but I'll try it.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

...actually, it's looking pretty good. We'll see how it performs with his huge data files and macro programs. Other DOS business apps have not worked so well in it in the past but I haven't tried for a year or two.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

This might work out ok after all. It's looking pretty nice.

When I deliver it, he'll probably want me to setup some networking with his desktop. He'll need the floppy drive shared since the laptop doesn't have one and that's how he moves his files around. He'll need the printer shared too.

I might try recommending Dropbox or Windows Live Mesh to help keep stuff synchronized. This could be pretty cool.

I'll get to do some stuff that will cooperate, and charge for some more hours of work.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #346
stonehenge

Weren't one of you having trouble finding a power supply for a Cisco Aironet?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #347
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

I have had that problem, but it had to have been over a year ago.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #348
stonehenge

I was just looking for one (and found one) and "Cisco Aironet Power Supply" just sounded familiar for some reason
Old 02-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #349
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Fucking Symantec Antivirus. A user called me because it detected c:\windows\axewijev.dll as a trojan. It detected it alright, but it wasn't going to do anything about it! The default action for that file was to allow it. I moved the file to my computer and scanned it with MSSE (which recommended immediate deletion).

I checked with a bunch of other antivirus programs, and these are the results:
http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/8...310-1265899619

I googled for it, this is what I found:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...Hiloti.gen%21A
Quote:
Aliases
Troj/Virtum-Gen (Sophos)
Win32/Vundo.CGP (CA)
Vundo (McAfee)
:Trj/Downloader.MDW (Panda)
Trojan.Vundo (Symantec)
WTF SYMANTEC!!! No wonder we get all these fucking Vundo infections, Symantec can detect Vundo but it doesn't want to delete it.

It wasn't even hard to remove.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #350
stonehenge

The big anti-virus programs have always pissed me off. Symantec, Norton, McAffe, and a few others.

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

We're using Sophos right now which isn't too bad but its a memory hog and sometimes acts a little ghey.