Go Back   All Offtopic Forums > Offtopic > Anything Goes
Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
Johnny Utah
AOT.com Hero

Johnny Utah may have a mustache.
Default How much you getting back in taxes?

I lucked out this year with my house in Utah and my move to Cali...I'll be getting $2200 back from the Feds and Cali owes me $750. Not too bad if you ask me.

Possible purchases with said tax monies....

-Engagement ring down payment
-Pay off my paltry $400 AMEX bill
-Buy new wheels for the Bimmer
-Maintenance items on Bimmer

We shall see.....
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Manbearpig
:van:

Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.Manbearpig says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Like 200
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
okbeast

okbeast is one BAMF (srsly).

Hopefully somewhere in the $500 range, prayin...
okbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
Bruce

Bruce may have a mustache.

being that i do not have a job per say, i do not do taxes. But since my dad is an long distance truck driver he got back around 7,000 last year.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
Johnny Utah
AOT.com Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki4life05 View Post
...............But since my dad is an long distance truck driver he got back around 7,000 last year.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Bruce

Bruce may have a mustache.

you get so much back per day you spend above and below the mason dixon line. Expenses vary buy you can get money back on mini fridges, meals etc.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
okbeast

okbeast is one BAMF (srsly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki4life05 View Post
you get so much back per day you spend above and below the mason dixon line. Expenses vary buy you can get money back on mini fridges, meals etc.
It's weird how the taxes are done on the mileage checks too, got a buddy who gets paid mileage on top of salary and he's getting a ton back from that.
okbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #8
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

So far all I've gotten are piles upon piles of forms. I've probably got a dozen W-2/1099/etc forms. Then I get to file in two states. When it's all said and done, everybody gets a chunk of my pie but me.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
Johnny Utah
AOT.com Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
So far all I've gotten are piles upon piles of forms. I've probably got a dozen W-2/1099/etc forms. Then I get to file in two states. When it's all said and done, everybody gets a chunk of my pie but me.
YOu having a CPA do the work or trying it yourself?

I used Turbotax for the second time on this last one. It was extremely user friendly and still cost less than HR Block or one of the other tax prep services.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

I've usually done it myself using http://www.olt.com but this year I might consider some other options (Turbotax, CPA, whatever). I imagine Turbotax is similar to olt.com but more expensive, but I'll probably try it anyway. Does the program allow you to do the whole thing and they just don't charge unless you file through them?
Old 02-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
Johnny Utah
AOT.com Hero

Quote:
I've usually done it myself using http://www.olt.com but this year I might consider some other options (Turbotax, CPA, whatever). I imagine Turbotax is similar to olt.com but more expensive, but I'll probably try it anyway. Does the program allow you to do the whole thing and they just don't charge unless you file through them?
Yeah, it doesn't charge until the end. The good thing is, you can write-off the costs of doing your taxes on the following years taxes. So $30 for Turbotax really isn't much. If you get a CPA or go through HR Block or something, it will be an easy $150....especially if you have more than 1 W-2
Old 02-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

I thought write-offs are only for businesses. For all that paperwork, I should be running a business, but I'm not.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
Johnny Utah
AOT.com Hero

Quote:
I thought write-offs are only for businesses. For all that paperwork, I should be running a business, but I'm not.

There is a huge amount of stuff you can deduct.

For example, I deducted my moving costs for my new job which included to corporate apartment I lived in, moving truck, and gas to move. I also claimed a trip to D.C. for a job interview, including the airfare and rental car.

You can claim tax preparation expenses as well. I was able to do all this through Turbotax...if you look at Turbotax Deluxe you can try it out on the web....if you like the results, then pay at the end.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
There is a huge amount of stuff you can deduct.
Deduction = write off? I thought they were different.

Quote:
if you look at Turbotax Deluxe you can try it out on the web....if you like the results, then pay at the end.
They sent me a CD, for whatever that's worth.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #15
Johnny Utah
AOT.com Hero

Quote:
Deduction = write off? I thought they were different.

They sent me a CD, for whatever that's worth.
I thought they were the same...meh, whatever, you know what I mean now.

I would try the online version...it really was easy.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #16
Shaggy
In It To Win It...

Shaggy has disabled reputation

Is the stimulous happening this year?

GMFS STATUS: NOT BANNED
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
Johnny Utah
AOT.com Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Is the stimulous happening this year?
I'm being stimulated....
Old 02-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #18
Mauro
Fresno State Bulldog

Mauro may have a mustache.

Might get about 1500 back Our CPA charges us $85....its worth it for her signature on the bottom in case we ever get audited
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #19
Johnny Utah
AOT.com Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post
Might get about 1500 back Our CPA charges us $85....its worth it for her signature on the bottom in case we ever get audited

That is a huge plus if you have complicated returns to do. Luckily mine haven't been too challenging and I can back up everything on this years since it was a little screwy.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #20
Shaggy
In It To Win It...

Shaggy has disabled reputation

Mine is way to complicated.

GMFS STATUS: NOT BANNED
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #21
nboylie

Space Explorer Champion
nboylie may have a mustache.

I am not sure yet, No T4 until mid-late feb.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:01 AM   #22
Corey
TAC BAC

Sonar Challenge Champion Pingu Sports! Champion Speed Racer Champion Thivin Monkeys Champion Srike One Champion
Pepsi Sumo Twang Champion Garage Door Tennis Champion Tiny Combat Champion Zodiac Slots Champion The Bounce Champion
Corey may have a mustache.

I don't get money back, i've got to pay about a grand
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:41 AM   #23
stonehenge
y u hovering on my shit for?

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Im gonna get abou 1300 and like 45 from state Teh munies are paying for my new tires/wheels and the rest is going towards debt
stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:14 AM   #24
Johnny Utah
AOT.com Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan! View Post
Im gonna get abou 1300 and like 45 from state Teh munies are paying for my new tires/wheels and the rest is going towards debt
So if the Helos are gone, what's next?
Old 02-09-2009, 03:19 AM   #25
stonehenge
y u hovering on my shit for?

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

I got some MB Rockers and I like them SO much more. I was afraid I'd hate them and want black again but so far they are proving superior.
stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote