View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #476
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

I was thinking, if I could get 10,000-20,000 miles out of it then I could take the time to plan and save for a swap that I really want.

The Buick V8 was attractive because I was under the mistaken impression that I could just grab one, ready to drive, for a couple hundred bucks any day of the week and it would take an hour or two to bolt in and then I'd be driving. Other than that, I don't like a carbureted engine nor one that's kinda uncommon.

What I'd really like is a 4.8 or 5.3. Incredibly common, wonderful driveability/reliability/parts availability/aftermarket, OBDII, programmable, efficient, etc. No fucking carburetor, 0F winter cold start just as good as a warm summer start. All the power I'll ever want. If I ever blow it, I can grab another one at the junkyard for $125 any day of the week.

We touched on that idea earlier, but what will I need for this swap?

1. Engine, obviously. The yard that sells engines for $125 has tons of GMFS trucks.

2. Shallow oil pan? Shallow intake manifold? Will height be a problem?

3. How do I deal with engine mounts? Easy to hack? Is there a prefab conversion mount?

4. Bellhousing obviously. I know nobody here knows what I'll need but I can figure that out with google.

5. Harness. DIY or buy some kind of prefab?

6. PCM, obviously. Any sensors I'll need? IDGAF if it has Service Engine Soon and tons of codes all the time, if I do end up caring I can work on it a little at a time. Can I get away with skipping a custom program?

7. Custom exhaust, I assume...any way to bolt it together with off-the-shelf parts instead?

8. Fuel tank/pump. I think google can tell me what I need, or I can just grab a B-body LT1's tank/pump. It does look like I can even use my old tank and an inline pump, or a sump made for my old tank.

9. Anything special for cooling system? Just find some bendy hoses to plumb it to my radiator? Hack together a shroud that fits, I guess.

10. Accessories: I hope to use accessories and brackets that come on the engine, but not sure if power steering would be easy to hook up. A/C needs to be taken apart, evacuated, seals replaced anyway so I can use the compressor that comes with the engine.

What do I do for those things? What am I forgetting?