View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #260
stonehenge
y u hovering on my shit for?

stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.stonehenge says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Quote:
About six years back I was working as a phone support temp for a very large outsourcing company that dealt with everything from attaching servers to racks to plugging USB cables into cellphone chargers for their customers. One of these customers was of the largest branches of a government suit that had users ranging from shift nurses to oil rig workers, which meant calls could be everything from pressing a power button to that someone's cell tower was causing packet loss for a production server out in the Altantic.

One of these calls was from an elderly woman who presented herself as the head nurse of a retirement home that was in dire need of assistance with their... cheese wheel.

Paraphrasing this from memory, it went something along these lines:

Elderly woman: "The cheese wheel stopped working this morning, we can't get any work done now!"

Me: "The... did you just say cheese wheel?"

Elderly woman: "What else would it be?! Your guys installed the thing, now fix it!"
Me, muting the call: groan

Me, to co-worker: "Which of the installation techs would install a cheese wheel for a retirement home?"

Co-worker: "Che-- what? Are you sure you aren't getting a prank call?"

Me, unmuting the line: "Is this supposed to be a joke? We don't "install" cheese wheels."

Woman: "MANAGER."

Me, muting the line, to manager: "<location> has trouble with their cheese wheel and wants to speak with you."

Manager stares blankly at me and checks the date, we're in the middle of January. "Cheese?"

Me: "Yes... cheese."

Manager, picking up the call and putting it on speaker: "This is ilifins manager, <name>. What seems to be the problem?"

Woman: "Our bloody cheese wheel isn't fucking working anymore and your shitty phone man is not listening to me!"

Manager: "I can assure you that we do not install cheese wheels as there would be quite the smell from rotting cheese after a while. Can you describe the object to me?"

Woman: "It's giant, it's yellow, it's full of holes and it stopped blinking this morning! No blinking is a bad sign, said <funniest installation tech we've ever had> when he plugged it in for us."

Manager, choking a laugh: "Did he call it the cheese wheel?"

Woman: "YES! WHY ISN'T ANYONE HELPING ME"

Manager: "I understand the problem at hand and will take the necessary steps to rectify your situation. A man will be at your location within the hour."

Woman: "THANK YOU." <click>

The office landscape of 50+ people bursts into laughter and the installation tech in question comes strolling in at the most amazing timing anyone has ever had. The slowly developing shitfaced grin on his face as we explained why we were laughing was priceless. "I knew this day would come," he said as he picked up his car keys and went into a store room, bringing out a spare circular shaped USB hub with 12 ports in it, yellow and quite full of holes.

TL;DR Giving weird nicknames to the wrong things confuses phone techs, creating a cheesy situation.
stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote