View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Related: Had a wheel/tire fly off yesterday.

Had a thumping like a failing tire tread. Pulled over and inspected tires, nothing wrong. Visually inspected brakes, suspension, etc. Checked lug nuts by hand; when they've loosened before it was obvious because they looked backed out and I could turn them with my fingers.

Got off highway and took side roads, slowly, with thumping louder and more of a whacking/cracking sound. Pulled over to check it a couple more times, still couldn't find anything wrong.

Got most of the way home when I saw a lug nut fly up into the air. A moment later, before I could react much, I saw a tire fly up into the air. I was going over a small bridge and it looked like it was gonna roll into a little canal-like thing nearby where it would be difficult to retrieve but luckily it didn't.

Luckily there was the perfect spot to deal with it right after the bridge, so I stopped there, on smooth flat pavement well off of the 25mph residential road...at least it's somewhere safe. Fender got crushed. One lug stud was broken off. Obviously it was loose lug nuts after all. Retrieved wheel, dug around and found my spare lug nuts, jacked car, put on wheel and applied nuts to the remaining 4 studs. Drove home without incident, kept speed reasonable, everything was smooth and quiet...even slightly ground-flat brake rotor offered no symptoms. We'll see if it affects balance at highway speed I guess.

Gotta get out there to replace the stud, inspect allthethings, and maybe remove fender to try to straighten it. I have a spare fender, I think the correct side, that I got at the junkyard last fall or spring...felt iffy about blowing the money but I knew it was a good investment. Also have a bunch of chrome trim, which I may need for the chrome rocker trim that got mangled.

Oh, and I gotta dig up a spare cap for the wheel bearing...pretty sure I have one somewhere.

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Fucking aluminum wheels.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Oh, and that was with brand new studs (a few months old) and relatively new nuts (a couple years).

I've had them loosen on a similar set of aluminum wheels before replacing the studs and nuts, so it's not the studs, not the nuts, and not the individual wheels...it's the aluminum material. Spec is 80 ft-lb, I tighten to 110. Guess I'll start gorilla-tightening like mechanics/tire shops seem to always do...