View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #546
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

Yesterday I managed to buy that transmission mount.

You can't tell in the photo but that's square rubber tubing, not a solid block. Its walls are about 1/4" thick and the hole through it is about 3/4" square.

I procrastinated all morning and into the afternoon today, then got down to it. It was going reasonably well when the stud that sticks out of the rubber part broke off.

It's supposed to have a piece of steel the size of the whole thing, instead it had a piece narrower than a bolt head would be...barely a flange at the end of the stud.

I figured I'd put a bolt and big washer through the hole. Nope, can't maneuver a bolt in because square tube is too narrow and long. Can't hold on to a nut inside it. Then I remember these brass 1/4" flat stock 1"x2" pieces with threaded holes in the center. Luckily they match the exact bolts I'm using.

Ignore the rubber part in this photo, it's unrelated to what I'm doing:

It's too big. It won't fit inside the square tube. I take it to the bench grinder and taper one end of it, then pound it in with a 5 pound handheld sledgehammer. It's a little crooked but it'll do, pig, it'll do.

Since that end is now finicky, I bolt that end to the crossmember first. Now I have to struggle to bolt the other side to the transmission. I'm shoving the transmission, trying to bend the engine mounts to get the holes to line up. It's getting dark out.

Then I realize...mud has one redeeming quality. You can shove a flashlight in the mud and aim it where you want.

I finally get one of two bolts in. I'm completely unable to get the other one in. I tighten the bolts that I have, skip reinstalling the driveshaft safety bracket, and call it done enough. I'll see if I can put it up on the lift at my father in law's garage and muscle the other bolt into place, and I guess I should order a few more transmission mounts...