Thread: Android Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #28276
theholycow
Bovinus Administratus

theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.
theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.theholycow says if you haz iPhone problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my Droid aint one.

My new S4 came on Friday. This thing is great!

I wish I had gotten the 32GB model but 16 is doing great so far. I've got tons of crap on internal memory and there's still GIGABYTES of free space! What a difference from the shitty old phone having something like 800MB total internal space, mostly used up by bloatware (which, of course, I uninstalled after rooting).

Speaking of rooting, it rooted easily. Gotta throw a recovery image on it so I can get good backups, then I can really start hacking around.

A few issues though...

1. Even with headphones plugged in, I can't browse and set ringtones/alarms/etc without the sound coming out of the speaker. That's fine if I'm alone somewhere, but I'm never goddamn alone anymore.

2. Why the fuck did I have to go to the Security settings and clear all certificates to undo my lockscreen security pattern lock (so I could have regular swipe lock back)? And why the fuck did Samsung go non-standard with the screenshot key combination? Gotta do home+power instead of volumedown+power.

3. Some kind of flaky crashing:

The first time I turned it on and tried to get through the intro/new user wizard/whatever, it powered off and rebooted halfway through. I had to start over. Then it was fine for a while.

Saturday morning I played music on it while doing stuff and it was fine. Then about noon, outdoors in the bright sun, I wanted to take some pictures. At first it worked fine, then it started crashing and rebooting. It was so bad that I was completely unable to use it; I'd start to draw my lock screen pattern or launch the camera from the lock screen and it would crash before I could even get in.

Later, thinking about it, I realized it might be crashing when it pulls too much battery current. Immediately before it started acting up I connected to a WiFi signal that was barely there, and couldn't get it to work (but could mostly stay connected). I'm sure that reaching out to that weak signal required all the juice there was, plus in the bright sunlight the screen cranked up to 100% brightness and so on.

I hope it's just the battery. I was already expecting to replace it anyway. New battery arrives in a couple days.