All Offtopic Forums

All Offtopic Forums (http://www.allofftopic.com/index.php)
-   Anything Goes (http://www.allofftopic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   IT Thread (http://www.allofftopic.com/showthread.php?t=34)

theholycow 02-09-2009 05:55 PM

IT Thread

We need an IT thread. This could be for questions or just general IT-related chat, I guess.

My Microsoft Exchange setup is pretty hefty, and a bit complex. It was put together by a contractor and I'm going to add a new database to it, but if they taught me how, I've forgotten. So I'll muddle my way through...anybody know much about this stuff?

stonehenge 02-09-2009 05:56 PM

I don't know shit about exchange. All I do right now are setup account on the domain, samba shares, password resets, keep an eye on the backups, and lately manage our WSUS server.

Corey 02-09-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 707)
We need an IT thread. This could be for questions or just general IT-related chat, I guess.

My Microsoft Exchange setup is pretty hefty, and a bit complex. It was put together by a contractor and I'm going to add a new database to it, but if they taught me how, I've forgotten. So I'll muddle my way through...anybody know much about this stuff?

What do you mean by new database? new Mailbox database or new folders database? Also Exchange 2003 or 2007?

theholycow 02-09-2009 06:12 PM

New Mailbox database, Exchange 2007 (running on Windows Server 2008). I'm working through the GUI, letting the wizards do the work, but I've just had a failure.

In the Exchange Management Console --> Server Configuration --> Mailbox --> Database Management, I created a new Storage Group successfully, then created a new DB. It claims to have succeeded creating the DB but failed to mount it. I go to where the DB file should be and it's not there.

Corey 02-09-2009 06:21 PM

I haven't done anything with adding an additional storage group so I can't help you there. Why are you adding the extra storage group?

theholycow 02-09-2009 06:33 PM

I'm following the previous architecture. Each DB has its own Storage Group as configured by the contractor who built the system. Maybe I'll try creating a DB in an existing SG and see what happens.

Corey 02-09-2009 06:39 PM

Ah I see, yea I can't help you out any there.

theholycow 02-09-2009 08:00 PM

Ok, so I tried creating DB in an existing SG, and I got this error:
Quote:

Continuous replication only allows one database per storage group.
We have both CCR and SCR, and I don't know which one (or both) doesn't allow more, but that explains why we have a SG for each DB.

I removed the attempt and tried again. This time, I unchecked "Mount this database" and then the "Database file path" text box un-greyed and had appropriate stuff in it by default. I finished the wizard and everything worked. Then after it was created, I mounted it. Looks like success!

Corey 02-09-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 749)
Ok, so I tried creating DB in an existing SG, and I got this error:

We have both CCR and SCR, and I don't know which one (or both) doesn't allow more, but that explains why we have a SG for each DB.

I removed the attempt and tried again. This time, I unchecked "Mount this database" and then the "Database file path" text box un-greyed and had appropriate stuff in it by default. I finished the wizard and everything worked. Then after it was created, I mounted it. Looks like success!

awesome to hear, I'll have to remeber that

theholycow 02-09-2009 08:08 PM

Is there anything else you can think of that I might need to do, or can I just start adding users to the new DB?

Corey 02-09-2009 08:10 PM

should be able to start adding users to it.

Has anybody done anything with thin clients?

theholycow 02-09-2009 08:17 PM

We haven't but we've talked about it. It would ease some of our administration work and possibly deliver better service to the student labs.

Corey 02-09-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 756)
We haven't but we've talked about it. It would ease some of our administration work and possibly deliver better service to the student labs.

Yea my boss just came to me and wants a cheap and easy to manage thin client solution that we can market to our k-12 schools

theholycow 02-09-2009 08:59 PM

I just found out that Windows Media Player streaming can go all over the place on random UDP ports. I was using Wireshark when I saw clumps of packets on these weird UDP ports and freaked out....then the user's computer wouldn't let me remote in and the user wasn't answering her phone. Turns out that messed up firewall settings prevented VNC, and I assume she was on the phone when I tried to call.

theholycow 02-09-2009 09:45 PM

Ok, here's another basic dumbass question: How can I get started deploying GPOs to push configuration changes through my domain?

I've been using login scripts, but I'd like to use GPOs. I've got a laundry list of things I'd like to do...

Corey 02-09-2009 09:52 PM

Server 2008 has a lot of new GPO's you can configure, use group policy management and start looking through the avaliable options. We have a test computer here that is in its own OU and we test all our group policys on before we deploy them across our or customers domains.

theholycow 02-09-2009 09:57 PM

I've never done anything with GPOs in a production environment. Years ago I took a course where I learned about it with Server 2000 but I've totally forgotten everything about it.

Good idea testing on a guinea pig first.

Shaggy 02-09-2009 10:09 PM

I need some walkthrough on figuring out how to tie in a extrenal hard drive to my ps3 and get the ps3 to see the hard drive. Fill me in on this one ;)

Corey 02-09-2009 10:09 PM

Download this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en and look through it, its pretty handy.

Charles 02-09-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 752)
Has anybody done anything with thin clients?

Yes. What kind of questions do you have?

Corey 02-09-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 841)
Yes. What kind of questions do you have?

Just trying to get an idea of what kind of thin clients people have had good experiences with. I've found some linux ones that i'm testing out, but my boss is wanting me to find something that is diskless and uses network boot to load the OS. What kind of thin clients have you used?

Johnny Utah 02-10-2009 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggy (Post 772)
I need some walkthrough on figuring out how to tie in a extrenal hard drive to my ps3 and get the ps3 to see the hard drive. Fill me in on this one ;)

If it is anything like hooking a thumbdrive to it, then you just plug it in. The PS3 OS will only recognize certain files, such as Mp3's and video files. Other than that, I have no idea.

Charles 02-10-2009 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 849)
Just trying to get an idea of what kind of thin clients people have had good experiences with. I've found some linux ones that i'm testing out, but my boss is wanting me to find something that is diskless and uses network boot to load the OS. What kind of thin clients have you used?

We had some HP thin clients that booted up a terminal session from one of our Citrix servers. We no longer use them but we didn't really have any problems with them. We have 150+ Citrix servers but no longer deploy desktops on them just applications.

Charles 02-10-2009 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 764)
I've never done anything with GPOs in a production environment. Years ago I took a course where I learned about it with Server 2000 but I've totally forgotten everything about it.

Good idea testing on a guinea pig first.

If I were you I would try to setup a duplicate test network to play around on and try GPOs. If possible, use your backups to duplicate your DC that way you know it's configured exactly as the production one. You do not want to screw up a GPO on the production side. We had to restrict access to people creating GPOs in our environment because they weren't taking into account their impact on people.

Corey 02-10-2009 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 962)
We had some HP thin clients that booted up a terminal session from one of our Citrix servers. We no longer use them but we didn't really have any problems with them. We have 150+ Citrix servers but no longer deploy desktops on them just applications.

We are using citrix for application deployment right now too. Any reason you all got away from the desktop deployment?